Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Skoldsie

Botched tile job or is this fixable?

Hi. This is the second tub surround I had tiled this summer and I think it is botched again.

This contractor was very offended when I told him I wasn't happy with the finished product. He actually ended up yelling at me with my 8 year old standing there and I had to ask him to leave the house.

The tiles are uneven, the grout lines are all different sizes (and I did purchase spacers for him), he put a huge gouge in the brand new bath tub, the grout is multiple colors and missing in many areas. The schluter strip is covered in grout and he used the schluter strip up against the ceiling.

So I know this is not a great job, but is it fixable? I thought about taking the gray grout out and replacing with white grout to hide some of the issues. I've asked him if he would do this, but he won't address the issues at all, but wants me to pay him the second half of the payment. He is now threatening to take me small claims court to get the second half of his payment. I need to know if this tile has to be removed or if it can be fixed. I have about $650 in material here, so I just don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There are some notes on the pictures that I sent to him, but he just refuses to address the issues.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Skoldsie

Here is the chip in the brand new bath tub.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Low bidder.
Whatever you paid him so far was already too much.
I'm laughing as I'm typing this but how did he waterproof that surround? (the answer is not-"the tile and grout are waterproof")
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Skoldsie,

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt it would be fixable to your liking and industry standards for flatness, but there is a much larger question looming - how was your shower waterproofed?

If his work is this amateurish on the surface, I worry about what is (or isn't) underneath which is what really counts.

Got any 'during' pictures ?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Skoldsie

Actually, I know that part was done right because I walked him through it. The fact that I had to walk him through the prep and waterproofing probably should have been a huge indicator that he could not do a good job.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

How much more money do you owe him?

I would let him know that by the time you have the tub repaired and have someone finish his job, it will take more than his other half payment to fix. No one likes to go in and finish up another installers job.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
Skoldsie

I owe him half of his labor. I paid for the tile also. Plus the tub is ruined, so I will have to replace that. I'm in the negative for sure at this point.

He says he needs to be compensated for his time away from his family, but I can't pay him for work that he did wrong. Ugh.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
workhurts

That looks pretty rough. Why is there grout between two different planes anyway? Think that needs to be caulked instead of grouted. I think at this stage I'd be thinking about taking him to small claims court instead of the other way around. No sympathy for shoddy 'professional' work and zero attention to detail.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:23 AM   #9
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoldsie View Post
I owe him half of his labor. I paid for the tile also. Plus the tub is ruined, so I will have to replace that. I'm in the negative for sure at this point.

He says he needs to be compensated for his time away from his family, but I can't pay him for work that he did wrong. Ugh.
You owe him nothing more. He possibly owe's you to replace the material that he ruined.
How did you find this guy? He is a sloppy tile setter. What did he say about the chipped tub?
Seriously get ready for small claims court. I have mixed feelings over the $1300 for the labor. I know it's hard to pass up on the lowest bidder but you always get what you pay for.

Oh. Its NOT fixable. It might be able to made better, but not %100.

I am neither clever nor funny
Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
condo-owner
just-some-guy

not a pro job, for sure.

but if you are not real picky, you/someone can make it much better.
is it going to look like a pro job, no. but if you are in a bind ....
otherwise, chalk it up and have it redone.

i would not give him 1 more $. if you have to, call the police , they will keep the guy away from you.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Travis, Skoldsie hasn't given us the dollar amount for labor, just that the materials have cost 650.00.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 09-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Skoldsie

Yes, I gave him $700 to start (1/3 of total, which also included two very small other jobs) plus the $580-$590 in materials I purchased.

He messed up the other two small jobs also. (and they were SMALL jobs, nothing like this)
Old 09-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
Skoldsie

and I know better. Truly, I do. I didn't go with the cheapest. I've been doing work on homes for 13 years. (I own 12 rentals and have purchased and resold homes plenty of times over the years) I have to take some responsibility in this, I completely realize that.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
Kman

Your tub can possibly be repaired, but it'll likely cost you a couple hundred or more.

Is that actually grout or caulk between the bottom row of tile and the tub? It should be caulked, although not that messily.

That last picture you posted with the hex tile, did you ask for it to be done that way at the top and bottom? There should be some cut pieces there, but he got lazy and filled them with grout.

Speaking of which, is that sanded or unsanded grout?

The rest of it is just shoddy workmanship. If he takes you to court, just keep a lot of pictures, and any receipts for work you have done to repair his work. That should be enough.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not beating you up but when you said that you had to walk him thru the waterproofing part of the job, a red flag should have gone off. If he knows his trade, he wouldn't need anyone telling him this.

On the hex border, I usually run the hex the other direction, then my half tiles are larger. Not much planning or thinking things thru on his part.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase