Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #46
DanWrghtn

Question shower curb ... necessary?

Assuming the shower pan is all waterproofed with Kerdi or Durock membrane and tiled, could we put the glass of the shower enclosure down to the top edge of the shower pan (no curb) around the top perimeter on top of the tile so the flow is always into and towards the drain? We'd of course caulk between the glass and the tile. Would this work? If so, this would void the need to do a curb. I may be not considering something that should be obvious. The shower will be about 42" x 44". Two walls of the shower would be tiled and the other two walls with the door would be glass. Perhaps a shower this size is not permitted without a curb.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #47
rmckee84

As long as the area is recessed, a barrier free shower is one way to go. You could incorporate a glass channel profile into the floor install for the glass.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #48
houndzilla

Ryan, I'm actually looking at doing just that. Setting a glazing channel in the tile for my barrier free shower, do you use Schluter's 3/8" channel or do you use a different product?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #49
rmckee84

I haven't had the opportunity to do one using a profile for glass but I know that they offer a few profiles to accommodate just what you're wanting. I guess it would depends on your glass, all the doors I've installed have been 3/8" glass.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #50
DanWrghtn

Glass channel profile

Do you have a link to see what you mean by a glass channel profile? You mentioned Schluter makes one? I'll check their website as well.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #51
DanWrghtn

Schluter glass channel profile

I do see the Schluter glass channel profile which you embed with thinset with the tiles. Looks good. In this scenario would one caulk between the tile edge and the profile? AND also caulk between the inside profile channel "wall" and the glass? Not sure the way I put that makes any sense.

Perhaps it's best without caulk between the glass and channel wall so that any water can either evaporate or find its way eventually to the drain in a Kerdi system. To caulk or not to caulk?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #52
DanWrghtn

Glass

... Or perhaps just channel on the wall and some type of silicone adhesion on the floor. Is this possible? Or ... any other ideas?

I guess I worry about water getting into, not through the membrane, but just "hanging around" too long in the channel.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #53
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Dan, you can do what you like there. I embed my fixed glass panels into the tile installation without any sort of "channels." Just leave a space between the tiles, set the glass on clear plastic glass shims and caulk around the glass. If the glass is captured on three or more sides, you'll need to install the glass before the tiles on one side.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #54
DanWrghtn

Glass installation

So if I understand correctly, the idea is, other the cost savings and ease, that in placing the glass in between a row tiles over a proper membrane installation, any water permeating, even the caulk, would basically either evaporate or make its way to the drain much like the water that would penetrate the grout on the shower floor. Is that the general idea?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #55
cx

Essentially, yes, Dan. The waterproofing membrane on all the horizontal surfaces would be properly sloped to drain and any water getting down to the membrane would go that direction and evaporate through the grout joints.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #56
DanWrghtn

Great suggestion.

Thanks for that suggestion CX. I think we'll go that route.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #57
DanWrghtn

Clear plastic glass shims

Did a search but still not exactly sure what clear plastic glass shims are. Do you have a link showing these or where I might find them?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #58
cx

I do not, but perhaps someone else will.

I get mine from my local glass supplier. I've always done any manageable fixed glass sizes myself, but they do all my big glass and any doors and such. You'll need to get your glass somewhere and that somewhere should have what you need.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #59
DanWrghtn

Thanks

Yes. I'm sure the business I hire to do the glass enclosure will have what I need or know where to get them. I'll ask them during the quoting stage.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #60
DanWrghtn

Glass door

Question: In a frameless (or as frameless as possible) enclosure, in the stretch on the pan/floor where the glass door goes, would you just put full pieces of tile (no gap) or fill the gap with grout, or is there some type of threshold normally set into that gap ... I'm referring to the gap left in the tiles to set the glass wall into but where the door would be.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase