Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
DanWrghtn

Shower half wall concern

Thanks to CX and all for the info and advice.

Again, for background, I've had this shower done twice and very poorly by others so I want to be sure I do it right this time. One area that has always had issues is the half-wall between the shower and tub where the glass of the shower enclosure rests.

Attached is a rough (not to scale) drawing of my plan for this half-wall with the thick frame-less shower enclosure glass resting on it. I guess it could be called a side-view cross section showing the "insides". There are some assumptions on the top left. My main area of concern is where the glass and the half-wall meet. The priority is maintaining the water proofing and secondly the appearance.

I forgot to draw a line from the middle left where it says "Kerdi board ..." to the spot where it would be under the granite "ledge" that is under the glass. Will Kerdi board support the weight of the granite and the glass?

If the drawing make sense, does it seem like a sound plan?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SHOWER HALF WALL (2).pdf (175.3 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by DanWrghtn; 06-11-2017 at 04:20 PM.
DanWrghtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
DanWrghtn

Alternate/Simpler half wall

I got to thinking (a dangerous thing) that I could make the area of concern simpler and preferable ... if it's sound. The slightly sloped granite ledge would rest on the granite backsplash, the also slightly sloped Kerdi board, over the 2x4 frame with Durock ...Please take a look at the attachment. The membrane would go up the half wall on the Durock, then up over the edge and the slightly sloped Kerdi board, over the top of the granite back splash to just a hair short of the backsplash face (that faces outside to the tub). Supposedly the water would hit the granite ledge and 99.99% would go off the ledge onto the sloped pan into the drain. Should any filter down through the granite ledge, it would hit the membrane over the slightly sloped Kerdi board and hopefully either evaporate or eventually find it's way into the drain. All this assuming the whole shower is waterproof.

Will this work?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SHOWER HALF WALL 3.pdf (184.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
wwhitney

My understanding is that the goal is to waterproof everything before the installation of any of the finish materials.

So why not run the tub-side wall Durock up to the top of the knee wall, and then bring the Kerdi over the top of the knee wall down behind the granite backsplash, and then horizontally out onto the tub deck?

Cheers, Wayne
Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #19
DanWrghtn

I see. That would be better. Will the Kerdi membrane adhere to horizontal top of the smooth tub deck ... with just un-modified thinset? If not, what would I use?

Also, with the membrane horizontally between the top of the tub deck and the bottom of the backsplash, how wide would that gap be for caulking? Acceptable width? Or perhaps it would be best with grout instead of caulk there to enable a bit of breathing or allow any water to escape/evaporate?

Last edited by DanWrghtn; 06-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.
DanWrghtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #20
DanWrghtn

Question Adhering Kerdi to tub deck

Not sure if anyone is still viewing this thread. I always like to have all my ducks in a row before I start. If easier and you prefer, you may simply post answers by the question number ... ie. 1. Yes; 2 No; 3 ....... Of course any additional comments or suggestions are very much appreciated.

As advised, after going up over the knee wall then down outside the shower and overlapping the Kerdi horizontally (outside the shower) over the tub deck about 1". I believe the tub is made out of a man made marble look alike material. It's not fiberglass or porcelain/enameled steel. It's those standard mas produced marble look alike tubs.
#1.) Would Kerdi Fix or simiilar be the best option for adhering the Kerdi Membrane to the smooth tub deck?
#2.) Would un-modified thinnset hold here?

#3.) On top of this 1" or so of Kerdi on the tub deck will be a natural granite backsplash which should adhere with un-modified thinset to the Kerdi on the tub deck, correct?
(The granite backsplash will also be attached to the Kerdi'd knee wall with thinset.)

#4.) Is this Kerdi installation between the tub deck and the granite backsplash thin enough for an acceptable gap for caulking or grouting when completed?

Again, all this is to safeguard against any water that might make it's way down through the slightly sloped granite ledge towards the tubside outside the water-proofed shower.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #21
rmckee84

1. Without seeing it, I would say use kerdifix to adhere on the tub.
2. Probably not, but I've never tried
3. Yes, if the granite is light in color it would be a good idea to use a white thinset. Grey can darken natural stone
4. Not sure what you're asking but its always best to leave a small expansion gap at plane changes for silicone
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #22
DanWrghtn

Thanks (and expansion gap)

Thanks Ryan.

Regarding the expansion gap for caulking .. question # 4 above: With the Kerdi Fix, then the Kerdi membrane, then the thinset ... all between the tub deck and the bottom of the granite backsplash, I was kind of wondering if this would result in a bit too wide of a gap ... more than what would look right for the expansion gap. However, I guess the membrane is very thin and if I don't use too thick an application of Kerdi Fix below and thinset above, it should be about right ... do you concur? Did that clarify at all what I was asking about in question #4 (previous post)?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #23
DanWrghtn

Question Schluter inside corners used inside-out

Not sure if anyone is checking this thread. I was wondering what Schluter product to use on the top outside corners of the knee wall other than creating my own cuts and using Kerdi-fix. I haven't seen the Schluter made "inside corners" I've ordered but I got to thinking ... why couldn't I used these same corners just inside-out for the outer top corners of the knee wall. Even though they're technically called "inside" corners. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

If it's the Kerdi Kereck you have, you can use them on inside or outside corners.

Some of us still don't understand your question in your #4.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #25
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
you can use either side of your Durock, but I'd recommend the smooth side out if you're planning to use a sheet membrane for your waterproofing.
I just want to make sure that I am reading that right you mean the side that doesn't say Durock can be out ward if and only when using a sheet membrane. Is this any sheet membrane, kerdi, durock shower system membrane that comes in the shower kit? can it be done when using a liquid system like redgaurd or Hydro Ban? and what are the benefits to doing it this way. I am just here to soak it all up like a sponge
Old 06-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #26
DanWrghtn

Thumbs up Question #4

Hi CX ... Thanks for all your advice and following up on that question #4 above. I think I figured out it was a non-issue to begin with which is why it probably didn't make much sense to anyone. It had to do with the space/gap between the bottom of the granite backsplash and the top of the tub deck after adding the thickness of the Kerdi-Fix, Kerdi membrane and other adhesive on top of the membrane. Since the Kerdi membrane will come down the back of the granite backsplash, then under the backsplash ... between the backsplash and the tub deck ... that with the Kerdi-fix, then the membrane, then the adhesive to set the backsplash on ... I wrongly assumed that it might create a noticeably wide gap/space between the bottom of the backsplash and the top of the tub deck. From what I gather now, if applied properly, the width of Kerdi-Fix, Kerdi membrane, and other adhesive, is still quite thin and nothing to worry about. Did that make any sense? Perhaps I've made it more confusing.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #27
cx

If by backsplash you're referring to the walls surrounding your tub, yes, that would be a non-issue.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #28
DanWrghtn

Question Correct ... and niches

Correct ... the tub backsplash sitting on the tub deck (tub side/outside shower).

Niches:
I was reading read the thread about Paul's Kerdi board niches. The conclusion seems to be ... the snapped and folded long corners are fine, but then Kerdi band on the cut shorter corners. I may have missed it, but this would still leave the back inside corners and outside corners (where there's a joint point where 3 planes meet). The corners where 2 planes meet are well protected but not that little point "hole" where 3 planes meet.

1. Is a dab of Kerdi-fix pushed into these inside corners enough (and the outside corners)?

2. I guess using the prefabricated Kerdi inside and outside corners would be full proof ... just the extra cost and layer build up (non-issue here again?).

Again, the easiest would be to just used Kerdi-band in all corners and Kerdi-Fix in the inside corners and the outside (face) corners ... where 3 planes meet ... there's that little "unprotected" point joint ... again, would a dab of Kerdi-Fix sort of pressed in to these joint points ... kind of like caulk application ... would this work?

If it was a huge shower where the niches would get very little splatter I wouldn't worry about it, but it's about 40" x 40" and from experience from previous mold issues I know they'll get a lot of splatter.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #29
DanWrghtn

Question Niche inside corners

I'm not sure I described the inside and outside corners well. I guess it's a miniature version of the shower stall as a whole where you have inside and outside corners where you would put the preformed Kerdi corner pieces. Would one use these for the inside and outside corners of the niches (where 3 planes meet at a point) or would a dab of Kerdi-fix work. The Kerdi membrane and Kerdi band provide the coverage on the flat surfaces and where 2 planes meet, but there's a point where there could be a slight gap where 3 planes meet ... as in a back corner point where the shelf "floor", side wall and back wall of the niche meet at a point. I'm sure there's a proper geometrical term for this intersection point in common where 3 planes/surfaces meet ... have no idea what it might be.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
cx

Dan, if you've folded your corners correctly with a sheet-type direct bonded waterproofing membrane there is no problem with them leaking. If you want to put a dab of pookey in those corners to increase your comfort level, that is fine, too.

You can fold dry "dixie cups" of such material and see that there is no leak problem if you like. Here's one using USG Durock Shower System membrane.

Name:  With Water.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  12.2 KB

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase