Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #31
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Dave.

Pour is not really the word you want for placing your mud bed for a shower floor or the pre-slope you'll place before you install your liner.

The minimum height of the liner up the walls is six inches or three inches above the curb, whichever is higher. You want your between-stud blocking at least that high.

If you're not familiar with deck mud, visit our Liberry and find the Shower Construction thread. Good information in there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #32
dave.adams

If I'm not using the traditional pan construction but using kerdi system, how high does the blocking need to be? Cause I will just do the mud bed and kerdi liner on top of that, no pre-slope, at least if I'm understanding the process correctly.

And as for building the curb, is this an acceptable method, using this plastic forming and then just leaving it in place with the concrete?

Bundle 2 PACK: Shower Curb - Kirb-Perfect - 30 Inches Per Curb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM4PT6W..._qOMtzbZ81N133

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #33
cx

For a direct bonded waterproofing membrane shower receptor your blocking need only be high enough to allow the fastening of the bottom of your wallboard. Usually the sole plate is enough.

I do not favor the use of those plastic forms in shower receptor construction, but with a direct bonded waterproofing membrane over it it might work OK. I think you're gonna find it pretty wide for most tile designs, though. A few 2x4s or some bricks would likely serve you better.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #34
dave.adams

I also need the blocking to provide maybe another inch or so of height beyond the framing on the floor as my kerdi drain will already be 1 inch off the subfloor, then the shower bed will need to rise 1 inch to far end (4 feet from drain to far wall). Am I understanding that right?

That plastic form is about 4.5 inches wide. I was planning to use this tile on the wall:

Marissa Carrara 10 in. x 14 in. Ceramic Wall Tile (14.58 sq. ft. / case)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/203183266

And this is the associated bullnose:

Marissa Carrara 3 in. x 10 in. Ceramic Bullnose Wall Tile

http://www.homedepot.com/p/203213557

Given the tile I'm looking to use, you're thinking a 4.5 inch curb would be difficult to tile?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #35
cx

Dave, if you install your wallboard first, you'll not need any kind of blocking at all for your deck mud.

You may want to install blocking for any grab-bars or similar hardware for use now or in future. Take photos if it's for future use.

I'm not gonna try to guess at anything about the aesthetics of your tile layout or curb design. Entirely up to you.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #36
dave.adams

Thanks, this is helpful information. I am reconsidering using the kerdi pre-formed shower tray. But I'm wondering a couple things about my tile choices:

(1) I'm looking at this 1 inch hexagon mosaic for the floors. First, I'm wondering if it's suitable for shower floor use? I've seen the manufacturer say they don't recommend it for shower floor, but ok for shower walls. So I'm wondering if it's the slip factor, I'm not really concerned about that, just wondering if it's a potential water absorption issue.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-Intern...HEXP/204265384

Looks like it has an impervious rating: Impervious flooring has water absorption of less than 0.5%.

My other question in regards to this flooring is whether I will run into problems using a 1 inch mosaic hexagon on top of the foam kerdi shower tray?

(2) This is the tile I'm looking to use for the walls:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-M...D1P2/203183266

It says it is a Non-Vitreous tile, and has water absorption of more than 7% for indoor use.

Is this a problem for shower wall application, or can I just seal it with an impregnator and be fine?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #37
cx

1. Dave, that's a polished marble tile and before you select something like that for your shower floor I'd recommend you type marble shower into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles. Read a few of the first couple hundred results and if you still want to use marble tile on your shower floor, go for it, but a manufacturer recommending you not use his product in a particular application should be telling you something.

2. You can use any kind of tile that suits your fancy on your shower walls. The only drawback might be cleaning and maintenance. A sealer on a glazed wall tile isn't gonna help much in that regard.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #38
dave.adams

CX,

Wow, thanks for passing that along. I read the posts, and showed my wife some of the pictures, and that was enough to come to a consensus on choosing something else. Does it matter whether I use porcelain or ceramic? What are the benefits & drawbacks of each one?

Why would there be cleaning and maintenance drawbacks to a glazed ceramic tile? What tile is best to be used in terms of long-term durability and cleaning & maintenance ease?

Thanks again for the tips. Happy to be saving myself from the potential nightmare of posting pictures of marble shower floor issues 6 months from now.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #39
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ceramic and porcelain tiles will be the easiest to maintain. With stone, your cleaning products are limited, you can't use acidic cleaners on most stone. Use 2, 3 or 4 inch tiles for the shower floor. The more grout joints, the less slippery it will be.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #40
dave.adams

Is there an advantage to a non-glazed tile over a glazed? We are looking at a 10x14 glazed ceramic tile for the walls, but it has a 7% water absorption rate which according to Home Depot's website is not advised for shower application. Though, I know the phrase "according to Home Depot" is pretty much meaningless around here

What about either of these?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Ti...MHMW/202647811

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Ti...2HMW/203684368

Is the matte finish going to give me any problems in terms of maintenance and cleaning or does it matter?
Old 06-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would say the glazed would be easier to maintain. I can't think of any kind of advantage to use a non-glazed tile.

For the shower, I would be looking for a tile that has a matching bullnose to finish off the edges. Unless you want to use a Schluter edge of some kind.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #42
cx

Dave, porcelain tile is ceramic tile. It's just a more dense, higher fired version and always a good choice for wet areas. A glazed tile is generally gonna be easier to clean and you can get glazed porcelain that looks more like some stones than the stones. Lotsa choices. But any glazed ceramic tile is likely to suit your wall tile needs.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #43
dave.adams

This is the wall tile I'm looking at using. It says it is non-vitreous and has a water absorption rate of 7%. There seem to be mixed responses from the manufacturer on whether or not its recommended for shower wall use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-M...210757&cj=true

Should I be concerned that it's non-vitreous, and look for a different option for shower wall tile?

Old 07-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #44
dave.adams

I'm needing to make some adjustments to the plumbing as I'm rebuilding our shower and am going from a dual handle to a single mixer.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  42.8 KB

My plan is cut the copper pipes near the floor, put on a sharkbite with a ball valve, then run pex the remainder of the distance (2-3 feet) up to the valve.

My question is if I can attach another shark bite elbow directly to the valve like this:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  35.6 KB

And run the pex into this elbow and be done, or if that is a no-go and I need to have another short run of pex between the elbow and the valve? I just didn't know if connecting the elbow to the valve would either negatively affect performance, or perhaps was a code violation?

Didn't know if plumbing questions were ok here or if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by jgleason; 07-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.
dave.adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #45
cx

Dave, if you're willing to use those SharkBite connectors, you can certainly do what you're planning there. Far as I know those connectors meet code most places, but you should check with your local code compliance people to verify that. I'm a bit skeptical of them long term, but I have nothing to back that up.

Plumbing questions are fine here, just be aware that most of us are not plumbers.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase