Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #31
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

As I generally do these days, I very strongly recommend you purchase a Bucket Mortar Mixer and do all your mixing of dry material in 5-gallon buckets and stage them in your work area where you can add pre-measured water and do your final mixing as you work. Works very well when working alone.

Name:  Bucket Mixer.jpeg
Views: 157
Size:  22.1 KB

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #32
mark999

$76.00 for that bucket mixer thingie. You could buy a small roll plastic sheathing and 2 sheets of 1/2 plywood cheaper than that to keep the floor clean and you can always use the plywood for something else. Blend about half of what you think you need dry and then add h20 to a wet sand consistensey where a baseball hunk stays together but not to wet. Make your perimeter screeds and middle screed, fill and pack mud and screed off.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #33
Loui

Good idea. I have 10 5 gal. Buckets ready to go. The mixer is quite expensive for one time use thou. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #34
Loui

Mark, your saying blend two separate batches one for the perimeter and one for the fill in?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #35
mark999

Lou

Once you get your screeds in place the work will go fairly quick. So maybe mix 1/3 to make the screeds and whatever you can do. Then mix the rest and finish. Try to remember to slick down the mud with a steel flat trowel about every 30" or not farther than you can reach. I have been known to SLIGHTLY mist like from a spray bottle on fine mist the mud prior to slicking with trowel.

I also like to skim the the next day esp. if it is going to be walked on much. MIx a little thinset just a little bit loose like real creamy but not so loose it runs off your trowel. Apply a section fairly thin with the flat side of the trowel. Use a little downward force and then skim off all the extra by holding the trowel at a high angle.It should basicly just fill all the roughness.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #36
cx

If you ship me that mixer when you're done with it, Lou, I'll give you fifty bucks for it.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:30 AM   #37
Loui

Mark, thanks for the tribal knowledge. Its nice to know some tricks of the trade. I like the idea of the separate batches. That would make things a lots easier. For screeds I was going to use two pieces of 3/4" conduit the length of the room.

CX not a bad offer.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #38
mark999

when you set those 2 screeds it is very important to get them(shim) in plane with each other.This will determine how flat your floor will be and you want it very flat.You should be able to take a straight edge that goes across both screeds and pull it all the way with the straight edge making contact with the screeds.Good idea to do this before mixing your mud.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #39
Loui

Is it better to Inbed the conduit into the mortar forming two rows or somehow shim the conduit on the lath with no mortar and then add mortar?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 AM   #40
Loui

Do you guys usually overlap the cleavage membrane and metal lath a few inches over themselves when you lay them down?

Looks like lowes has Galvanized Steel Stucco Netting which I'm assuming is metal lath. Would that be acceptable?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #41
cx

You really want 2.5 pound metal lath, Lou. That stucco netting in my experience is lighter than that. You can use it on your floor if you wanna, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #42
Loui

Any idea were to buy the right stuff. I have daltile and a few other large tile suppliers within a few miles but they don't sell to the public only to contractors? Anyway around that?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #43
cx

Home Depot usually carries the 2.5lb lath, Lou. on the end of the store with the concrete supplies.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #44
Loui

Finally finished the floor. Used 50lb playsand and 10 lb Portland per bucket. The floor did come out perfectly level. The top is quite sandy. I think its because I am not very good with the steel trowel. I did smash it down with the wood float. Its also pretty brittle. I could drive a screwdriver threw it if I had too. Is that normal. My cconcern is laying the tile down. Is the trowel going to destroy the top sandy coat and make a mess. Should I just back butter the tiles and install them that way so I don't interrupt the floor. Or should I mix a slurry coat of thinset and spread that out before I do anything. Or am I just making a big deal about nothing and just lay the damn tile down and stop whining. I did spritz it with some water today maybe that will help. Its 2 days old.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Loui; 10-07-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #45
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Relatively normal. Had you kept a piece of plastic over the fresh bed, it would have stayed damp longer and likely been a little more stout on the surface.

If you want, skim coat it with a good quality modified thinset mixed to normal consistency. No slurry mix. That will drastically cut down on sandy particles being pushed around when you're working. But it's not mandatory.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase