Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #76
wwhitney

On stitch nailing the ripped 2x4s, a standard detail might be two rows of 10d common nails at 12" o.c. each row, staggered, 1" edge distance for each row. If you want to use screws, use only structural screws such as those offered by Simpson, GRK, SPAX Powerlags, etc.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #77
workhurts

Was laying out tile to see where things would end up relative to the linear drain and realized that the tiles wobbled a bit on the bare concrete floor.

I was going to use some ditra to decouple.

What's the decision making process between thinking ditra and the thinset under it will level things out vs actually needing some SLC? I have a feeling the high and low spots aren't off by more than 1/8- 3/16 at worst
Old 09-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #78
workhurts

First time playing with concrete. Not a horrible mess. Plan was to recess the floor about 3/4" to give the mud some thickness when I slope the floor. Top of linear drain will sit about 1/8" down from the top of the original floor. The 2x4s are shoved deep enough into the concrete to give me enough room to put some mud in there and rest the linear drain on it. Plus there's a little bit of a void to give me enough room to tighten the no hub coupler and backfill later.

Time to order some ditra and Kerdi.

Is there a way to turn these pics? Almost all the ones I post are sideways.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #79
workhurts

Tackling my drain and slope this weekend. Is it ok to set a Schluter linear drain directly into the mortar? Schluter instructions say it's ok, I think, but all their videos show using the styrofoam support. He styrofoam support gets thinset onto the floor and the drain thinset onto the styrofoam.

I'm thinking that as long as the drain is supported evenly then there really aren't any forces working to dislodge it and the mortar im using for my slope will suffice. I'm using tec (can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure it was 4:1 and north of $14 a bag).

So. Mortar to set the drain into or thinset.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #80
workhurts

Here's a pic of the concrete and there drain area I built up.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #81
workhurts

Nevermind. Used mud. After doing it. Can't imagine doing it any other way. If anyone sees something wrong with this, let me know. Gonna start the rest of the slope from the edge of the drain and then fill the channel which I had to have to tighten the clamps on the coupler.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #82
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ali, I think setting it in mud is the way to go. That way you can tap it down and get it level.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #83
workhurts

Can I use unmodified thinset to bond my mud bed or does it have to be high quality modified or what?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #84
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The unmodified will probably work fine but I hardly ever use it for anything anymore. Versabond is pretty good thinset and not very expensive. That's what I'd use to be on the safe side.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #85
workhurts

Well. That was a bit of a mess. After a week, I decided to mess with the mud I placed under the drain.

I found a hollow sounding spot. So naturally I picked at it. Other than maybe the 1/4" film that felt 'solid' the inside was completely sandy in consistency. It's as if it never set at all.

So went around the perimeter of the drain and it was all mostly like that. Maybe I just didn't compact the edges enough for fear of hitting the drain. The drain is sitting solid so I think I'll just get some thinset under there now.

Still has me worried about doing the whole floor. Wonder what I messed up.

Does anyone think 4:1 mid requires any less or more water than the just get it wet enough to form a ball but leave no residue on your hand type consistency?

Kinda bummed right now but once I start messing with thinset ill be in my element again.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #86
workhurts

So how hard does a mud bed get? It's not like thinset or concrete is it?

Need to figure out how to test a bed before throwing Kerdi on it. Also, how long before putting the bed down and applying membrane?

Any reason not to cover the whole bed with plastic once it's done?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #87
rmckee84

Over time it will get hard.

As soon as you can walk on it you can kerdi over it.

Covering is fine, the longer it takes to dry the harder it will get.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #88
workhurts

Yeh. Weird how some parts of such a little area vary so much in strength. Will tackle the whole slope tomorrow but I'm definitely worried about when the mud tapers down. This deck mud is 4:1 and is supposed to go down to 3/8.

Ok, so any reason to think 4:1 requires more water than 5:1 to get it right? I mean it does have more cement in it and cement likes water.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #89
workhurts

Decided to just use sakrete sand and topping mix in the 60lb bag. Added 17 lbs of sand to each batch. Worked much better.

However, on my 3rd bag the sakrete was absolutely horrible. Bulldozers in it. We're talking hundreds of 3/4" sizes rocks whereas the others bags all had pebbles/stones that were no more than 1/4" and not very many of them. Wonder what gives.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #90
workhurts

Progress so far:

Now any pros have an opinion on the how the rest should go. From that point you see in the picture the heights to the drain are a 3/4" drop over the next 34".

However since I cut out a large section of concrete for the drain and recessed things. The height between the 'ground' and where the top of the slope would be, starting at the drain, 1" up to 1.25" then .25 to the .75". So be shallowest is 1/4" but it would be sandwiched by mud so not really 'feathered'.

Should I just keep using the sakrete but with less added sand?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase