Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #76
TileDisciple

Good afternoon,

I've decided to go with the Schluter Kerdi-Board shower curb. The top of the curb is designed flat without a pitch. Schluter tech support recommends pitching it towards the mudpan by using a bit more thinset towards the front of the curb when installing the tile on top of the curb. Does this make sense?

Which is the best vapor barrier to use when constructing a mudpan - 4 mil polyethylene or tar paper? If tarpaper, do you recommend #15, #30, or something else?

My mudpan will be 30 5/8" wide by 32" long. Should I use galvanized lath over the vapor barrier? If so, what kind?

Thanks,
Old 12-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #77
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

1. No. It is the waterproof layer that is required to be sloped to drain.

2. There is not vapor barrier required anywhere in your shower. If you're talking about something over a wood floor to keep moisture from being sucked out of your new mud, any of those things will work. You can even use garbage bags or an old shower curtain, but you won't find those in the book.

3. See #2. Technically you need 2.5lb. metal lath for that application, but you can use whatever you find in your local home center.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #78
TileDisciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
No. It is the waterproof layer that is required to be sloped to drain.
OK CX, so is there another way to get a slope on the Schluter curb?

Thanks,
Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #79
cx

Yeah, Joe, you can tilt the curb while installing it in your thinset mortar, but then the faces of the curb won't be perpendicular. Might not be enough to upset your tile layout much, but you'll still hafta make special cuts to accommodate it.

When schluter first made those curbs the tops were sloped. When asked why they stopped making them that way, they are reported to have said it was because people were installing them incorrectly. So now they make them without slope and tell people to install them incorrectly?

I would recommend you not use the Schluter curb and make your own instead with a properly sloped top.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #80
TileDisciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Yeah, Joe, you can tilt the curb while installing it in your thinset mortar, but then the faces of the curb won't be perpendicular. Might not be enough to upset your tile layout much, but you'll still hafta make special cuts to accommodate it.
Thanks CX ,

I thought about that, but I don't like that idea either. However, I do have another way. I can embed several layers of Kerdi-band in the front top of the curb. The layers will be feathered out with the lowest layer larger than the second, and the second larger than the first. On a 4 1/2" wide curb, I think this will easily give me the pitch I need.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #81
TileDisciple

Mud Pan

Happy New Year,

I'd like to get some training/practice before I build the mud-pan for my shower stall. My shower stall, after the installation of the shower curb, is 30 5/8" by 31 3/4".

Does anyone have any recommendations for how and where I can get some training on building mud-pans?

I called Schluter, and they don't provide training in building mud-pans. My Schluter Rep. said to build a wood box the size of the shower stall and practice making the mud-pan in the wooden box.

Thanks,
Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #82
cx

Exactly what I'd recommend, Joe. You don't even need to put any cement in your first or second try. Damp sand will give you a feel for what you need to do and it doesn't mess up the garage floor or driveway near so much.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #83
TileDisciple

OK CX,

How would recommend that I replicate the shower drain?

Thank you,
Old 01-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #84
cx

Get creative, Joe.

Cut you a round disk of 3/4" or so wood. Pour a 1" concrete disk a couple days ahead of time. Steal something from the kitchen. Steal something from one of the kids.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #85
TileDisciple

Smile My Practice Shower Stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
You don't even need to put any cement in your first or second try. Damp sand will give you a feel for what you need

Good afternoon,

I made two of these practice stalls. I'll take your advice CX, and I'll start practicing with damp sand.

I used a 12" lid to replicate the 12" Schluter drain flange.

Do you have a favorite tool to screed the mud?

Thanks much,
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #86
cx

I have a number of aluminum angle tools cut to different lengths I use for that purpose, but I still find myself using lengths of 1x3 or similar that have at least one straight edge and are cut to the length needed for the particular shower I'm working on. Anything straight that's easy to handle will do. A good sharp edge makes them more useful and the ones I save go through the jointer when I get'em home, ready for the next use.

For your practice floor I'd recommend you just cut you some wood pieces.

Store-bought kind:

Name:  ST295.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  17.8 KB

Last edited by cx; 01-17-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 01-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #87
supperfly17

Joe what kind of kerdi drain are you using? I thought that you couldnt use a kerdi drain if you were making a traditional mud box, but rather it can only be used in their pre formed pan. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #88
cx

It is perfectly acceptable, and by some of us preferred, to make a mud floor when building a Kerdi shower using a Kerdi drain. The same would be true with any other direct bonded waterproofing membrane and any other bonding flange drain.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #89
supperfly17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
It is perfectly acceptable, and by some of us preferred, to make a mud floor when building a Kerdi shower using a Kerdi drain. The same would be true with any other direct bonded waterproofing membrane and any other bonding flange drain.
So if one is using a liner for their waterproofing for the floor you should not use a kerdi drain, but instead one like an Oatley with weeping holes, but if one is using surface waterproofing like red guard a kerdi drain is acceptable. Am I interpreting this correctly?
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #90
rmckee84

When using a liner you use a clamping style drain.

When using a kerdi style drain stick with surface applied membranes like kerdi, wedi subliner, or other fabrics. These can be used with mud pans or prefab.

Redguard and other liquid waterproofers can be used on mud pans but typically use the divot method. I don't use this method so I won't try and explain it or the drain type you should use.

Last edited by rmckee84; 01-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase