Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #61
TileDisciple

Good enough, thank you Wayne
Old 07-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #62
TileDisciple

Advice on making Kerdi-board curb

My goal is to match the length of the top pieces, inside curb, and outside curb, to the tile design on the east (back) wall.

The top tiles are the same width as the entire curb because I plan on installing the side pieces first. The width will also match the width of the bullnosed tiles that run up the north and south walls.

The curb is pitched to the inside of the shower at about per foot. From left to right: 1/8 caulk line, + 9 11/32 tile, + 1/8 grout line, + 11 13/16 full tile, + 1/8 grout line, + 9 11/32 tile, + 1/8 caulk line.

The width of curb 3 7/16; 1/2" thick Kerdi-board to build curb is cut 2 11/16 wide; tile on outside curb ; tile on inside the curb thinset to adhere tile on the inside of the curb 1/8; thinset to adhere tile on the outside of curb 1/8. I plan on installing the tiles on the inside of the curb, and then the outside of the curb before I install the tiles on top of the curb. Do these numbers make sense? Does the sequence in the order of installing the tiles make sense?

Happy Independence Day,
Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #63
TileDisciple

Building a shower curb out of Kerdi-board

Does anyone want to share their expertise on how to build a curb out of Kerdi-board? I don't see anything in the library, and I've searched the old posts.

Thanks much,
Old 07-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #64
Actuary

Are you going to have a shower door installed with a bottom pivot mounted on top of the curb?
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #65
Actuary

Here's one method that does NOT take into account the attachment of a shower door on top of the curb. Time 3:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OAx74LcZ-g
Old 07-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #66
sycamorebob

Joe are you wanting to make it out of 1/2" board or 2" board?

If 1/2" kerdi board use 2 x 4's ( you may want to rip them down to get the size you want).

if attaching a door to curb please let us know....

Last edited by sycamorebob; 07-02-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: more bad spelling
sycamorebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #67
TileDisciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorebob
Joe are you wanting to make it out of 1/2" board or 2" board?

If 1/2" kerdi board use 2 x 4's ( you may want to rip them down to get the size you want).
Wow, thanks guys! I overlooked the glass door completely! I wasn't planning on having doors installed, but the new owner might like a glass door, so I should plan on building the shower as if I was installing a door.

I was planning on using 1/2" Kerdi-board, but if I use a thicker board does it matter?

You have all been so very helpful ,
Old 07-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #68
TileDisciple

Shower curb

OK, I still haven't made a decision on the shower curb. I was set to use leftover 1/2" Kerdi-board after speaking to the folks at Schluter. I wasn't considering a shower door, but since I will be selling the house, I want to build the curb so that it is shower door ready.

So should I use 2x4's and cover them with 1/2" Kerdi-board? Or should they be covered with cement board, or drywall? I'm thinking I should skip the Kerdiboard curb and use 2x4's (as Patrick suggested) covered with cement board.

I emailed Schluter, and I'm waiting for their response. I don't think a thicker Kerdiboard would be strong enough to support a glass door installation/usage.

By the way, I'm not using the Schluter pan, I'm building a mud pan

Thanks so much. I appreciate all the advice that I've received.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #69
Kman

If building over concrete, it's best built from bricks or concrete when it will be covered with Kerdi or a similar product.

If over a wood subfloor, you can use 2x4's covered with cement board, or sheetrock if it's compatible with your waterproofing material.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #70
TileDisciple

Shower curb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
If building over concrete, it's best built from bricks or concrete when it will be covered with Kerdi or a similar product.

If over a wood subfloor, you can use 2x4's covered with cement board, or sheetrock if it's compatible with your waterproofing material.
Thanks Kevin.

It's a wood subfloor (Advantech 1 1/8" OSB ). I'm using Kerdiboard on the walls, and building a mudpan.

Schluter recommends a track system that does not penetrate the waterproofing membrane.

They sent me instructions to ensure a watertight seal on the curb if I decided to install hinged glass doors in the Schluter Shower System. They said that the Schluter Kerdi Shower SC Shower Curb will support the weight of a "properly installed glass door."

I'm leaning toward cement board over the 2 x 4's.

I appreciate the advice,
Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #71
TileDisciple

Happy Thanksgiving,

Does anyone know the best way to remove build-up of thinset on Kerdi-board, Kerdi-membrane, and drywall?

I also have some drywall mud that spewed onto the Kerdi-board while I was finishing the cornerbead. Should I be concerned about it?

Thanks much,
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #72
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Well, Joe, I hate to be the one to say it, but the best way is to simply sponge it off while it's still wet.

Getting dried thinset mortar off either KerdiBoard or Kerdi without damaging the membrane is unlikely to happen. You can try gently scraping it to get the big pieces off, but you'll need to be very careful. Perhaps someone else knows some kinda magic, but I don't.

The drywall mud should come off with water and a sponge or/and a "scrubbie."

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #73
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, what CX said. I'd start with a 4 or 6 inch putty knife and see how it works.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #74
TileDisciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Well, Joe, I hate to be the one to say it, but the best way is to simply sponge it off while it's still wet.
I did scrape some of the dry thinset off the Kerdi-Board outside the wet zone, and you're right, it pulled up the membrane. My Schluter Rep told me to wet it with a sponge and then scrub it off with a soft bristle brush. I might try wetting it down with a spray bottle of hot water, then scrubbing it with a soft bristle brush.

It would be great if Schluter put some cautionary notes in their handbook.

I'll also call the folks from Ditraset and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Old 11-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #75
TileDisciple

Good afternoon,

The dried joint compound was easily removed with a wet sponge.

As far as the buildup of thinset, I was able to remove it by following the instructions of a helpful tech support rep at Ditraset, who suggested that I tap it lightly with a blunt object. I used the butt-end of a drywall knife, and the butt-end of a masonry brush to lightly tap away the dried thinset. It broke the thinset in pieces and then I used a soft-bristle masonry brush, and a drywall knife to wipe off the residue. What's left over is what had been feathered out of the Kerdi.

The buildup on the drywall I removed in the same manner. In addition, I used a drywall knife to lightly scrap away the broken pieces of thinset.

Thanks again,
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase