Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #76
Eric Woollen

Moving on to grout. I have 2mm grout joints (not 1/8 or 1/16, actually 2mm). I would like to use a sanded grout as I understand these hold up better than unsanded. I found a couple of sanded grouts that appear to be suitable (i.e., small enough aggregate to fit the 2mm joint) but they are premium grouts and are rapid setting. Many reviews of these products indicate that a DIY should steer clear. Pro reviewers however say they are great products (namely: Mapei Ultracolor Plus and TEC Power Grout). Can anyone recommend a sanded grout that will work in a 2mm joint that is also easy to use? I've worked so hard this far and everything has turned out great (mostly thanks to this forum). I would hate to ruin everything with poor grout selection. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #77
CaliGrown

Cement based
Laticretes Permacolor or Permacolor Select
Bostiks Sanded Grout
Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #78
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like Custom's Prism grout. It says fast setting but I've never noticed it to set too fast. With small joints you'll want to make small batches, spread grout for about 5 minutes and start washing.
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-128.pdf

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #79
Eric Woollen

After a bit more research I'm suffering from paralysis. Everyone seems to have so much trouble with grout. Sets up to quickly. Doesn't set up at all. Color not right. Inconsistencies from one batch/lot to the next. One guy loves it and the next hates it. People can't follow directions. It goes on and on! Then there's epoxy grout. This miracle substance that needs no sealing, does not stain, color matches. But only if you dare to try it and risk screwing it up beyond repair. So I read the following thread and now I'm thinking maybe it could work for me?

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=35153

My shower floor and back of niche tiles are 3/4" square mosaic with 1/8" or smaller joints. My accent tiles are linear glass and stone with 1/16" joints. My field tile is 12x24 porcelain with 2mm joints. Everything this far has been easier and more successful than the horror stories led me to believe (namely self-leveling concrete). Maybe I'll be good at epoxy grout too and all is well in the universe. Anything about my install that says epoxy is a bad idea?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #80
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice looking shower.

They don't recommend doing it but I pour the part A equally into several plastic cups, then I do the same with part B, then the powder, Part C. I then make smaller batches so I have time to get it all cleaned up. With small joints, if you mix a whole batch, it'll start setting up before you finish spreading what you mixed. Then you'll lose part of the batch if you aren't careful.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #81
Eric Woollen

Davy, you're doing that with the full units or the mini units? Using a scale or just eyeball? The unused cups can just sit uncovered no problem until you finish the first batch(es)? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #82
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm doing that with the full units. I found that buying the bigger units is a lot better deal. Then I just measure them out. I don't use a scale but that would be even better. I put lines on the outside of the cups and I can see the epoxy thru the plastic so I can get them pretty accurate. If I'm not mixing it all, I cover the top of the cup with duct tape until I'm ready to use it, usually only a day or so.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase