Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
Ohio_Bob

Ditra+Heat question - wire under the toilet (slightly). How big a problem?

OK, so I installed Ditra+Heat per the installation guide. Everything works great. But I realized after the fact that I have a toilet problem. The toilet I installed has an elongated bowl. It's an American Standard Vormax (which is a fabulous toilet, by the way).

Well, I must have been thinking rounded bowl like my old one when I did the layout, because as a result of the longer bowl, I now have one heat wire that crosses under the front of the toilet apron (the rounded hollow part at the front) perpendicular to the long axis of the bowl. The wire is about 2" under the toilet - about 10" of the wire is underneath the fixture. The tile is 12x12, about 3/8 thick porcelain. The floor area is 6 x 8 and I used an 88' wire kit. All of the wire is out in the tile field, except for this single wire partially under the toilet.

As I said, everything seems to work fine. I've been using it for a few months and just realized my error. I emailed Schluter but they just quoted the installation guide about not putting the wire under any fixture due to a potential for hazard, but it seems to be fine to me.

I really like this throne and hate to change it out. Do you really think I have anything to worry about? Do you think it poses any sort of hazard.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

That's a tough call. At this point, I'd leave it. If it's going to fail, you'll either have to tear things up, but if it doesn't you won't, or you decide to change it, you will. It's not easy to tear things up without trashing the wire and maybe the membrane. Worst case, it overheats and the protection circuits shut it down - it won't cause a fire. It MIGHT play with the overall temperature control. The heating wire changes resistance somewhat as the temperature changes...one section getting hotter may make room control less effective. The floor sensor should take care of it, but the response may be slower.

FWIW, you have the manufacturer's guidance...anything else is supposition and not necessarily good advice!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
JerseyDIYguy

What's the distance from the toilet sealing ring to the nearest heating wire? What is your sealing ring made of (wax, other...)?

Will the wire be under the portion of the toilet that actually touches the floor? Or will the wire only be under the "shadow" of the extended bowl?

Heating wires passing under a ceramic toilet won't do much of anything to the toilet, the concern is that they might melt a wax sealing ring, or (as Jim mentions) that the portion of the wire under the part of the toilet that actually touches the floor could overheat.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IF you're worried about melting a wax ring...use one of the waxless seals. FWIW, most toilets aren't solid across the bottom, so there's normally at least some air space that should help.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
Kman

If the water in the bowl starts boiling, you've got a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Ohio_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDIYguy View Post
What's the distance from the toilet sealing ring to the nearest heating wire? What is your sealing ring made of (wax, other...)?

Will the wire be under the portion of the toilet that actually touches the floor? Or will the wire only be under the "shadow" of the extended bowl?

Heating wires passing under a ceramic toilet won't do much of anything to the toilet, the concern is that they might melt a wax sealing ring, or (as Jim mentions) that the portion of the wire under the part of the toilet that actually touches the floor could overheat.
Its 13" from the center of the toilet flange to the wire. The installation guide said 7" so I figured I'm ok there.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Ohio_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman View Post
If the water in the bowl starts boiling, you've got a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
It's more of a simmer than a boil, so it should be fine, right.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Ohio_Bob

Pics

Here are a couple of pictures. The location of the wire is noted in red. I asked Schluter if they could be more specific, and their answer was "for a warranted installation, the wire can't pass under the toilet". I get that, but I was more interested in what the design window for the product was, not what would void the warranty. It seems like a robust product compared to other systems.

I may take some IR temperature readings around that area tonight when we cycle the heat on and see if there are any variations from the field area and the area right where the wire passes under the fixture. I also had to shim the toilet on the near side for level, so there is a bit of a gap around part of that area (clear silicone in the gap).

I guess I can't see how it would be any different from having a bathroom scale on the floor, or a bath mat while the floor heat is on. Doesn't seem like much of a risk, but I am probably rationalizing...

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ohio_Bob; 09-13-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Ohio_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Never mind

I am neither clever nor funny
Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc

It's fine. Sleep easy.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #11
Ohio_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc View Post
It's fine. Sleep easy.
Thanks. By the way, I like your blog site. A lot of good information there.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase