Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Loui

Vanity subfloor or finished floor?

Hello all,

I would like to know what the standard practice is regarding bathroom vanities. When I pulled mine out it was attached to the subfloor. Mudbed and tiles were laid around vanity. I guess what I'm asking is should I install my vanity on the subfloor or finished tile floor.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lou,

It can be done either way. Since you pulled it out I think you should do the tile floor and set it on top.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The vanity's height will be low if you don't install it on top of the tile. Plus, if you decide to remodel just the fixtures...you'll be stuck with trying to find a vanity that is exactly the same size and shape...that can be hard, and limiting. At a minimum, tile under at least the edges so it is properly supported.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
Loui

Thanks guys. The lower height might actually benefit us since we have 2 little ones. But john what you said makes sense. Might as well do it right and tile the whole room.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

They grow pretty fast. A step stool isn't a bad idea for when they're small.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Loui

Ain't that the truth!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

It seems to me that probably 90% of vanities available today are on feet or otherwise open on the bottom so that you have to tile under them. One of those design trends that I don't understand.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
It seems to me that probably 90% of vanities available today are on feet or otherwise open on the bottom so that you have to tile under them. One of those design trends that I don't understand.
C'mon Rich, dust bunnies need a place to live, too. It's a fair housing issue!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Some people remodel once in a lifetime...some do it on a regular basis. If the remodel doesn't touch the tiled floor, you can have some big issues if your new vanity is slightly differently designed. Most of them aren't huge, so tiling underneath isn't a huge cost. As to feet on them, not everyone is good at keeping the tile perfectly flat, and feet, especially if they are adjustable, make it much easier to get things to sit flat and level. If you always change the floor tile on a remodel, it probably doesn't matter much. Second thought...the heights of cabinets became somewhat standardized on the height of a typical woman in 1954...people are taller today, and that's one reason why vanities are available in taller sizes without going custom. I'm tall...I like it higher!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase