Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #61
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

FWIW, cutting through block isn't that hard, but don't know how it applies to your situation.

That said, the supply lines would be easiest because they're under pressure. The drains? They bow to gravity so must maintain a constant slope and accommodate traps.

You could fab a chase between vanities. Perhaps 3" or 4" deep. Maybe even cap it with countertop material.

Since it's a blank slate, you could run some finished rigid tubing from one to the other and then run pex inside for supply lines. If run near top, they could function as towel bars...might be kinda cool. The drain would be harder because of positioning.

Are the vanities you've chosen open at the bottom like the pics?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #62
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Wayne posted a neat idea which would fairly easy assuming you've got the room. Fur out wall to a few inches above countertops and cap with countertop material. Effectively makes a full width shelf so you can accommodate more stuff.

Any chance we could get a context photo to spur imagination?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #63
scottly

I was thinking like Wayne....Using 6" pvc cut in half lengthwise and painted same color as wall. As far as the vanities being open, they may or may not be. Can't fur out the wall because to the right of it lies a toilet with a window over top, and to the right of that, the shower....wouldn't look right. I was even thinking of a cosmetic/make-up drawer between the two, but since most of those are those are 24", that would limit my vanities to 24" as I only have 74" of wall space before I invade on the toilet. Keep the ideas coming....And thank you for taking the time to respond!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #64
wwhitney

Another suggestion: do a homedepot.com (or maybe amazon.com) search for "72 vanity" and sort by price. There are some nice looking (to me) options under $1,000 that have double doors under each sink separated by a stack of drawers in the middle. You'd have to modify one drawer to be less deep than normal to allow the far sink trap arm to pass behind it.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #65
scottly

Wayne: Did that. Problem: On the far right side of that wall, just about where the vanity would end, is the bathroom door. Long story short, I took a 72" length of 2x4 and tried to move it into the bathroom, and the room isn't deep enough to get enough "pivot" on it to get it in there. The door is 30". The vanity is 22" depth. Don't think it's gonna swing. The vanity that was in there was a custom built job that appears to have been assembled in place.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #66
wwhitney

Couldn't you move the vanity through the doorway with the 72" dimension vertical? Most doorways are 80" tall. Then move the side that is on the ground to approximately it's final location and tilt the bottom of the vanity down to the ground.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #67
scottly

Never thought of that. Let me go home and give it a look.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #68
scottly

Ok, so I made cheater sticks, laid out the tile with spacers, etc...And I still screwed up the bottom starting point...resulting in the tile strips at the top, and the niche not quite lining up. Such is life....But all in all, it turned out well for someone that isn't anywhere near a pro. I have some lippage in a few spots, mostly related to the curvature in the wall and the tiles. I have some mortar peeking out from a couple of joints, and that has been removed. Floor is next and then bottom tiles and curb. Had to take a break as I have no electricity because of the storm. Thanks again for the help, even if I am sometimes too dumb to listen.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #69
scottly

Laid down 12x24 floor tile using Versabond. How long do I need to let that dry/cure before I grout? Reason I ask: I goofed when I laid 2 tiles. I peeled them up and noticed the thinset underneath was a different color than the edges, indicating it was still curing. So, I wonder about the rest of them before I walk on/grout them
Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #70
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd give it at least 24 hours. Longer is better with those large tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #71
scottly

Thanks!!!! Appreciate all the help as I slowly move through this project.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #72
scottly

Best toilet? I have a Kohler in my other bathroom and it seems to handle the tough flushes. My old house had one of those American Standards that was suppossed to flush golf balls, and I found it to leak around the bolts that ran through the tank and fastened the tank to the base, but it flushed anything.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #73
Mathman

We bought an American Standard with the taller and longer bowl and it's really nice and works well. Don't remember the model.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase