Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
loismay

how to tile wood counter edge

How do I attach tile to the edge of a BBQ island made with 2 x 4 stud material. I do not have enough space to even add 1/4 backer board. Note in the picture I have used Schulter SS rondec 7/16" trim for 3/8" tile.Name:  IMG_1723.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by loismay; 09-11-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: misspelled word
loismay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Lois.

I'd recommend you not attach tile to that tile top until you have made provisions for that edging. You need not only some sort of tiling membrane or CBU there (none of which are actually indicated for attachment to dimension wood) and some sort of waterproofing of the entire top and edges.

What have you got on the top now?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
loismay

to tile wood counter top

The island is constructed with SS and the top is 2: 3/4 exterior ply covered with 1/2 CPU and red guard. Then 3/8 porcelain tile installed with Pro-lite white thin set. The edge trim is SS. So now we are ready to install the edge pieces, in fact some are shown in the new pictures attached. So since the top is finished already, how would you suggest we do the sides. We will use a ledger board to hold the tiles in place until the adhesive (whatever it should be) has cured. We will then grout the 1/16 grout lines.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lois,

What CX is saying is that we don't install tile directly to framing lumber, and it appears you have no room to add anything to it. Maybe just paint the 2x4 with deck paint or something.

If you're going to do it anyway, I would use some sort of construction cement out of a caulking tube. I'm pretty sure the grout will crack out, though. Too much movement in framing lumber.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Perhaps you can come up with some kind of non-tile covering that you could stick on that would look ok?

When I did a tile breakfast bar I made a wood profile out of 1x2s glued in an L shape, and routed the corners. But it's too late for that, in this case.

I am afraid that there's no really good solution, the planning needed to be done before the tile was set! But perhaps someone will have a clever idea.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm thinking along the same lines as JB. It's not something we would usually use for tile work but I would use PL Premium x 3. It sticks very well to about anything that's dry. You will probably still have problems with cracking grout between the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase