Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #31
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The TCNA is the bible on how to build a shower and references lots of ANSI standards. Over a plywood base, to hold together, the preslope needs to be a moderate amount thick. Now, You might be able to use one of the waterproofing 'hats' and do a divot method, which might let you hold things off some from the drain and keep it thick enough (there's a procedure for that in the handbook, but might not quite apply here). You should insist on a shower that meets industry standards which apparently isn't the same as local norm!

Lots of showers built incorrectly, it's not hard to do it right according to one of the selected standards, but it is quite detail oriented, and you need to dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's for it to work properly. Skipping a step or winging it just is asking for failure, or at the minimum, poor performance.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #32
Kendrav

Resurrecting this thread...new issue

Well, about a year and a half after our shower floor redo, there is a hairline crack in the grout leading toward the drain. Hard to tell exactly where it stops, but it appears to be about a foot in length. Is this something I need to worry about? Am I going to have to call these people back out here to fix it again?? �� I just checked under the house to see if it leaking and I can't tell for sure. The area around the drain that leaked before seems dry, but there is another wet-looking spot in the subfloor that does feel slightly damp.

Last edited by Kendrav; 09-03-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Additional info
Kendrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #33
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, I would get them back out to fix it. Tiles cracking on a shower floor usually means the plywood is getting wet and swelling.

I'm not trying to cause you to worry but small leaks can cause a lot of damage over time. About 15 years ago I got a call about one of my showers that suddenly had a crack in the shower floor. The shower was 3-4 years old at the time. Ended up being a plumbing leak in the pipe behind the shower head. It only leaked when the shower was running. In just a few years it ended up doing 30k in damage.

Sounds like yours isn't leaking as bad as mine was but I would still get it checked.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #34
Kendrav

Leaking shower clarification please

We suspected our shower was leaking into our crawl space but we weren't 100% positive, so we stopped the drain and let the shower floor fill with water about 1-2 inches up the wall. We let it sit like that for a couple hours and then checked the crawl space. There was water dripping through the subfloor everywhere, not only under the shower, but throughout the bathroom.

When the owner of the company came out to look at it, he said "well if you flood the pan, of course it is going to leak."

Am I crazy? Water is not supposed to drip out through the subfloor no matter how much water is in the shower, correct??

Thanks,
Kendra

If you'd like the history behind our shower issues,, please see this post:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...=118837&page=3
Old 09-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #35
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

That would be correct.

The guy clearly knows nothing about proper shower construction. Code compliance inspectors generally require such a flood test of a site-built shower receptor before construction can continue on the shower. It should never leak.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #36
Dave Gobis
da Man!

What CX and Davy said. I had a guy who didn't want to repair a leaky second floor shower. He said he would fix it when it came through the ceiling. Years later much to his chagrin, it actually did come through the ceiling.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #37
Kendrav

Update... experts please weigh in on this

We performed another flood test in the presence of the tile company owner this morning. When we fill the shower with one inch of water, it leaks through the subfloor from nail holes that are approximately in line with the shower walls. It appears that the liner was punctured along the walls and that is where the water is getting through.

The owner wants to try caulking the edge where the floor and the walls meet. There is a visible gap there and he says that if we caulk that edge, it will stop the leak.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
tatumjonj

He's 100% wrong. And he sounds like a complete hack. I mean honestly, what do YOU think about that plan? It's your shower.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #39
Kendrav

I donít like his solution at all. But I want to be sure we are being reasonable people. If we end up taking this in a legal direction, I want t be able to say that we tried our best to work with him toward an amicable solution. If we refuse his suggestion to caulk it, I want to make sure we have a valid reason for refusing.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #40
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

You have a very valid reason, Kendra. He is caulking the tile installation, not the required waterproofing. The shower should be completely functional before the first tile is installed. Tile and grout are not part of the waterproofing system.

While that floor/wall junction should have been caulked as part of the tile installation in the first place, that is to compensate for any possible movement of that joint in the tile installation, not to try to make the joint watertight.

It's not a difference of opinion you're dealing with there, he's simply wrong.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #41
Kendrav

Thank you. That makes perfect sense. I really appreciate all the advice and patience with our continuing issues.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase