Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #61
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

The folks at ColorRite will make you a silicone caulk in either sanded or satin finish in a color to match any grout color you choose.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #62
jefftile42

I already have the Laticrete Latisil and my local tile shop sells the Laticrete Acrylic caulk but they weren't very helpful in letting me know if I should get sanded or non sanded to match the Latisil. Does anyone know? This would be going with Laticrete Spectralock Pro Premium grout. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #63
jefftile42

My second layer of plywood has a few areas where the edge of the plywood cracked when screwing in the plywood. I removed the cracked pieces. I am installing Noble CIS with noblebond ext on this plywood. What is the best material to fill these areas flush before installing underlayment? I believe the largest cracked part is 1/4" deep, a few inches long and 1/4" -3/8" wide from the edge. I have plastic wood filler at my disposal. Would that work? If not, what other fillers could I use?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #64
cx

My first choice, considering your description, would be water putty.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #65
jefftile42

Hello all,

I am applying redgard to the walls. I have been using a paint thickness gauge and it has been pretty difficult to put this on thick enough. I have been using a brush for the corners and a 3/4" nap roller for the rest.

Here is what I've done

primer coat 1 part redgard to 4 parts water
first coat 20-25 mil (not sure why this went on thicker, maybe it is because cement board is porous and this coat sealed most of them up)
second coat 10-15 mil
third coat 10 mil
forth coat 15 mil (for this coat I really tried putting it on thicker and still failed to get anywhere near 30 mils)

So far I've got 55-65 mil wet thickness on the walls.

The instructions say:
For waterproofing and anti-fracture
membrane two 25-30 mil coats.
The combined dried coating needs to
be a minimum of 25-30 mils thick
or 50-60 mils when wet and should
not exceed 90 mils wet.

The strange thing is I've read in different places that 60 is the minimum wet and 125 is the maximum wet. Right now I would be at about the minimum coverage if I measured correctly (which I have some doubts about).

1) I want to do another 15 mil coat to get it up to approximately 80 mils wet thickness. Does this sound like a good plan?

2) I've also read on this forum that the letters on the cement board should be covered when you have the right thickness. On the 3rd coat I still saw the letters. The 4th coat is up but its not dry yet so I'm not sure if I still see the letters yet. Is this actually a good rule of thumb? I'm still going with the paint thickness gauge as my measurement but I was just wondering about this.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #66
cx

Now you see why some of us just won't recommend those products for shower receptors and why we tell folks it is not like painting the bedroom walls.

Achieving the recommended 30 mil wet thickness with a single coat is very difficult to say the very least and the manufacturers' recommendation suggesting you can do that with a 3/8th" nap roller is simply unrealistic in my opinion.

In your application I would advise that you stop with what you have. Wall applications are much more forgiving and I think what you've got on there already will be adequate. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase