Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #241
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

1. Always. And you need to clean all the grout out of the change of plane joints.

2. I would, but I wouldn't tile the floor first. You've got to be very careful working over a newly tiled floor and keep it very clean.

3. Seal what, Dominick? You appear to have a glazed ceramic tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #242
dorlando

So do you recommend putting in the bottom row of tiles first and leaving enough of a gap for my floor tile and caulk joint? After that then grout the walls and ceiling before laying the floor tile?

Regarding the tile, I think it is a glazed wall tile. Does it hurt it if I get any sealer on it when sealing the grout, considering the grout joints are only 1/6"?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #243
cx

My usual method is to mount a level ledger board above the shower floor a little lower than one full tile from the floor and start my wall tiles on that. I then must cut the bottom row of tiles to fit the floor when tiled later.

You'd still need to protect your pan liner while working on your walls and ceiling.

But you can place your final mud bed and tile your floor first if you prefer. Or have you already placed your final mud bed?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #244
dorlando

Yes, my final mud bed is already in. I have the bottom row of tiles remaining along with the floor tile. So I guess I can either install the last row, grout and then install the floor or install floor first. I would rather install floor last but I would just need to make sure I get that bottom row cut in correctly to fit the floor. I need to leave about 1/8" gap at the floor to wall transition, right?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #245
cx

Right.

You can tile your floor first if you like, Dom, and shim your first row up from that if you want. I just don't do that as a rule.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #246
dorlando

I like the idea of tiling floor last. Is there an advantage or preference to using the cove base type tiles for the bottom row of the walls and even for the bottom of the outside curb, as opposed to using the regular tile that doesn't have the lip on the bottom? Thank you
Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #247
dorlando

CX, you had mentioned tiling the floor last which I like the idea of so I am not working on a finished surface. By doing that I imagine I would get a lot of grout in my wall/floor joint which I plan on using silicone, so I would need to get the grout out. Do you have a tip on how to either prevent grout from getting in or how to best get it out without messing up the wet floor grout? I will be using 2x2 tile on the floor.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #248
rmckee84

Roll up some painters tape and stick it in there, or foam backer rod and pull it out when you're done.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #249
dorlando

so my shower wall tile is 4x8 subway and it is glazed and non-vitreous. My understanding is that glazed tile does not need sealing but doesn't non-vitreous tile absorb water? I want to keep it watertight as much as possible. Do I need to still only seal the grout joints? Can someone help me understand the glazed and non-vitreous parts of it? Perhaps the finish front of the tile is glazed but the tile body will absorb water.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #250
Kman

I wouldn't try to seal the tile. Depending on the type of grout you're using, you may want to seal it. The easier option is to use one that doesn't require a sealer. It will cost a little more now, but you'll easily save that money back in the long run.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #251
dorlando

I assume you mean epoxy grout. I have heard it is challenging to install. I would maybe only use it on the floor since my wall joints are so small
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #252
Kman

Look at Laticrete Spectralock. Very user-friendly, and holds up very well.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #253
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Look at Laticrete Spectralock. Very user-friendly, and holds up very well.
Dominick - let us know if you need more info on the product, our tech team is happy to help! 1.800.243.4788
Old 07-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #254
dorlando

Are there any tips anyone can share on laying 2x2 on the shower floor, it comes in the one foot square pieces? Do I basically want to make sure it is flat when I place the level towards the drain?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #255
cx

Not sure just why you'd be using a "level towards the drain," Dominick, but flat is what you're looking for. We're gonna presume you've made the substrate nice and flat and properly sloped to the drain, so what you want is for your mosaics to follow that substrate while being set into your bonding mortar.

I like to use a wood float to help set the tiles flat. A hard grout float would work, too, but my wood float is longer and will cover more area. Sometimes I'll tap on the float with a rubber mallet, but usually just pushing down on it will flatten things out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase