Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 03-10-2018, 04:25 AM   #1
rdbesq

Using Enhancer After Penetrator?

I just installed travertine in my bathroom and am getting ready to seal it. I was told it is a good idea to seal before applying the grout. This is my first tile floor and it was a lot of work. I donít want to screw it up now!

My wife likes the stone as it is and thus I was going to use the penetrator, however after cleaning it with a sponge I could see so many more colors and really like it.

My question is this...

If I use a penetrator first, can I come back later and use an enhancer if we decide to go that route? Or is it one or the other only?

Also, what product would anyone recommend for penetrator or enhancer?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
rdbesq

Using Enhancer After Application of Penetrator on Travertine?

I just installed travertine in my bathroom and am getting ready to seal it. I was told it is a good idea to seal before applying the grout. This is my first tile floor and it was a lot of work. I donít want to screw it up now!

My wife likes the stone as it is and thus I was going to use the penetrator, however after cleaning it with a sponge I could see so many more colors and really like it.

My question is this...

If I use a penetrator first, can I come back later and use an enhancer if we decide to go that route? Or is it one or the other only?

Also, what product would anyone recommend for penetrator or enhancer?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Miracle brand is the sealer I've used a lot of. If you seal with the invisible sealer like the 511, it will usually keep the enhancer from working if you change your mind. If you want it enhanced, use the Enhance and seal before grouting and then again after grouting. Don't use the 511 at all.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Rob, enhancing sealers are also penetrating sealers. If you use a penetrating sealer first, your enhancer will not likely enhance or, if it does, it will likely be blotchy and not at all what you really wanted.

If you want to enhance the colors of your stone, do that first while the stone is still clean and un-sealed.

[Edit] Posting the same question on multiple forums usually results in confusion and duplication of effort on the part of our all-volunteer army of helpers, Rob. Please post your question just once.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I would also suggest testing on a spare piece of tile.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
rdbesq

Thanks for your help! Sorry for the duplicate posts. Submitted the second one in a different forum, but then couldnít figure out how to delete the first.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
rdbesq

Grout and Sealer Questions - Please Help

Grout

I have been looking at the Mapei Flexcolor CQ premixed grout ($44 a gallon) versus the standard Mapei sanded grout and additive ($29 for both). The premixed says it doesnít need to be sealed (although I would), has better color unifornity and better crack resistance. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the higher price, especially since I donít have to mix it? Any opinions of Mapei grout in general? Suggestions for other brands?

Sealer

I have been looking at the 511 Penetrator sealant ($30 per quart). Today, I saw 511 Porous Penetrator sealant ($74 per quart). I installed a pretty porous, unfilled travertine floor and am wondering if it is worth paying the extra $45 per quart?

This is my first tile floor and it was a lot of work. It came out pretty decent for my first time and I donít want to screw it up. Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated!

Last edited by rdbesq; 03-14-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Change Title
rdbesq is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase