Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
houndzilla

Mapei Mapecem Quickpatch

I had an opportunity to use a couple bags of this product over the weekend. Searches on the forum don't really show anything for it, so I figured I write about it a little.

I've never used a patching product like this before. Pretty impressed with it, I can't believe at how well it sticks to a plastic bucket when dried. I selected it because I have no vapor barrier under my basement slab and it's an interior/exterior product that doesn't have moisture or vapor limitations. It's going to pull triple duty as a skimming, ramping (under ditra), and low spot filler for my SLC to minimize the depth of the pour.

First bag was rough coat to patch a concrete trench and saw cuts, and do some eyeball slope adjustment of the floor. Second bag was carefully measured out to clean up feather edges, and do a final skim to clean everything up.

This was a furnace room and the already ground concrete slab was just getting SW Armorseal Treadplex paint. So it didn't need to look terribly pretty.

Some takeaways:
  • My initial impression of what SSD (saturated surface dry) means was wrong and it hurt the workability of my first coat. I understand better now.
  • This stuff likes to be at the high end of the water ratio, at lower water ratios The product is so sticky that it's difficult to work with a trowel. It might work if you are ramping and are able to screed though.
  • Very short working/open time, try to be wrapping up between 5-10 minutes after finishing mixing.
  • Around 30 minutes you can start to hard trowel the finish or knockdown ridges with a drywall knife. If you want to do a broom finish that could probably be done around 20-25 minutes.
  • My final skim I added an extra but of water (maybe 3.4:1) and really saturated my floor. I was really happy with the outcome and it's ability to feather to zero.
I'm looking forward to tackling the laundry room next with the familiarity I have now with this product.

Last edited by houndzilla; 11-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.
houndzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Cain
Cain

I use it quite often.
It's pretty awesome for quick patching of low spots.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

If you really want to add to that experience switch from Ditra to Mapei's UM Underlayment. You'll never look back!!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Thanks for the write up. I have a patch job coming up also and the rep recommended QuickPatch. Will see how it works.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
houndzilla

Quote:
If you really want to add to that experience switch from Ditra to Mapei's UM Underlayment. You'll never look back!!
Dave, I would love to but 1)I'm using Schluters heated floor system 2)my architectural product rep hooked me up with some pricing that would make your eyes water.

I have some concerns about the shrinkage cracks in my my 50+ year old slab and Ditra crack bridging ability. I have some ideas on how I'm going to address it, but I would love it Ditra would test/rework their product meet whatever ANSI spec is for crack isolation.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

George, thanks for the kind words about our Mapecem Quickpatch product (and Dave, thanks for the nod on Mapeguard UM). You're right about the water ratio, we list a wider range than we might otherwise because the product is used for a variety of purposes. It's a great patch for anywhere that moisture might be an issue such as below grade, under membranes, and outdoors.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase