Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
pcm2a

White haze on tile floor

Bought a house and the shower tile looks great in the middle but out around the edges has a white haze to it. I thought maybe it was soap scum so I have tried various different soap scum cleaners and even DYI recipes like vinegar and dawn. So far I have made no change at all to the white haze.

What else could it be? I may pick up some CLR and see if that does anything to it.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
fhueston

All those scum removers are acid base and are going to ruin the tile. I would call in a pro and have them take a look. It may be a combination of soap scum and hard water deposits.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
pcm2a

Thanks! I was hoping for some tips on what I could try out at home. The bottle of CLR at the store said not for stone and I'm not sure if I have stone or tile so I skipped it.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Looks like you've got stone.

Can you concentrate on a tiny little area with your fingernail, plastic putty knife, or something to see if you can remove any of it?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
stu rosen

I agree with Fred-best to hire a pro. Most likely its a combination of efflorescence,mineral deposits and soap film (soap film occurs if you use bar soap). Also your change of the joints where your wall meets the floor need to be caulked. Moisture in the pan could be causing you some of these issues as well.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 AM   #6
katilicous

That looks like adorable Lil Travertine tiles. Take a shower and bring a razor blade with you. At the end of shower see if you can scrape off the white like thin coconut flakes. If so, it's soap scum and hard water. If so, call Prosoco and see if they will recommend a product for stone that can safely remove it if the scraping is too much. You don't notice this stuff till it has a scrap able amount. Just wipe your razor between passes so it you pick up something gritty you won't dig it into your surface and leave scratches.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase