Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Harry48

Floating bench with SS supports

Needing advice/confirmation on mounting a floating bench. I have a 60x42” shower with Schluter’s Kerdi membrane and tiled with 12x24 porcelain tile (some cut shorter to fit shower dimensions), laid horizontal with 50% overlap. I have a 3 cm thick Silstone quartz slab 10x42” for the bench, and plan to mount it with a 1/2” gap from the back wall. The quartz bench will be supported at the ends by laying it on 8” long stainless steel angles (1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16”). Silicone will be spotted between the bench and SS angle to keep it in place. The SS angles will be mounted on the wall (over the tile) with SS lags or large screws anchored into a section of 2x12 mounted between the wall studs (see photo). I will likely screw a 42” piece of SS angle to the wall mounted SS brackets for added support under the midsection of the bench. The 2x8 is for a grab bar.
I’m looking for advice and/or confirmation to this approach. Also, any thoughts on how tight to screw the angles to the wall, not wanting to crack the tile or break the grout bond. Should I drill a hole through the tile significantly larger. Than the lag diameter so any weight on the bench does not push the lags onto the tile?
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
rmckee84

From the way the post is worded I cant tell if you've already tiled or not. Personally I wouldn't want to be driving lags into the walls of my shower...
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Harry48

Lags are hex headed bolts with screw threads. Yes, shower is already tiled and grouted.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
tatumjonj

I think everybody knows what lag bolts are. I think he means he wouldn't want to put holes through the waterproofing of the shower. Frankly, neither would I, especially at the level you're doing it at and with the size of hole necessary.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Harry48

Not a problem with the holes......I will silicone the hole before and after inserting the lags.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
rmckee84

Silicone or not, lags are a bad idea in my opinion.
A few pics of what it currently looks like may help. Along with a diagram of what you plan to do about bracing, many of us are visual and pictures help.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #7
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Harry. Your plan for the ss angle, ss lags sounds like it will work.

Did you put a lot of thinset behind the tiles in this area? I would worry about crushing the tiles and cracking them. I would rough up the inside surface of the angle and use silicon. Anything to help spread out the weight instead of relying on the lags. For sure drill the holes bigger than needed in the tile.

Just thinking here.
Maybe there is a way to attach the angle or a ledger with epoxy and not drill holes.
Just a thought, will surely get chastised here. Maybe use biscuits and epoxy to mount it. Can the bench go directly over a horizontal grout joint?

This would be titties. Remove grout at said joint, or wouldn't need to be at a joint. Cut a 1/8th inch notch on both sides of corner where the bench is going. Cut the same notch in the bench.
Stick lengths of ss stock in notch with silicon. Slide the bench in on this newly created rail.

Let the down talking begin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 AM   #8
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
This would be titties.
A very forgotten but universally beloved phrase.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
Harry48

Here is a drawing....it is missing the "cross piece" of SS angle that is shown in the second image. The two pieces of SS angle are just held in place for photo purposes....no screws holes yet.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I was picturing a 45 degree corner bench.
Your setup will probably work.
I have seen plenty of grab bars installed this way. Just know when to stop cranking on the lags.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
Harry48

Thanks Shady. Yes, can't tighten too much!!!, but needs to be snug. I am surprised how much weight there is for the bench. Quartz slab I guess is about 25 lbs, and SS angle about 15 lbs.

As for the silicone, it (as well as the Kerdi sealant by Schluter) are frequently used to seal holes and screw inserts through Kerdi membranes.....where soap dishes, other types of commercial benches, etc. are punched t hrough.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I would like to see kerdi fix used in the holes, etc. I trust it way more than silicon. But it can be ugly if visible

Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Kerdifix's bond strength can reach over 1400psi depending on the materials involved. Given enough surface area, it alone should hold your SS brackets in place...the screws or bolts would help hold it in place prior to it curing. The stuff cures at the rate of about 1/8"/day from the outside in.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase