Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Windwood

Epoxy Grout Colorant

Short story, grout is leaking on plumbing wall. I've never had this happen before but my customer is getting water accumulating on the tub (fiberglass) rim. It appears after he has wiped everything down. It has been isolated to the plumbing wall by individually masking off the walls for periods of time. When the plumbing wall is masked off, the problem goes away.
There are no leaking valves or connections at all. There is no wall damage anywhere. The backside of the plumbing wall Hardibacker is dry. No leaking down into the basement or anywhere else. Escutcheons are all sealed well.
It just seems to be held in the wall and then drains itself down gradually on to the rim of the tub over time. Puddles of water along the rim. I forgot to say, he has sealed the grout three times with Miracle 511.
What's a good way to waterproof this grout? I was thinking of a product I used years ago that colors grout and I believe it was an epoxy.
Attached Images

Windwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

So, moisture is somehow accumulating in the right-hand wall and then weeps the moisture out after drying off the wall after a shower? And it’s only the right-hand wall?

Ok. I’ll say this: dreaming up methods to make your grout “waterproof” is probably barking up the wrong tree. It’s better to look at what is different about the right-hand wall. Based on what you’ve said so far: very likely there is a defect with the grout or grout coverage...or defect to the tile...along with something of a void between the tiles and substrate that is allowing an accumulation of moisture to collect during showers that slowly weeps out afterwards.

A few questions:
What setting material did you use for these tiles?
Anything special to the tile that looks like run of the mill glazed ceramic subway tiles?
What size trowel did you use to spread the setting material?
Any idea of what percentage of setting material coverage you obtained?
What grout did you use?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

My very unexpert thought here... if you did manage to somehow keep the water "inside", I'm thinking that it's going to build up, and perhaps show up "outside" in a much worse place than on the tub rim! The water is coming from somewhere, and has to find somewhere to go.

Rereading, I am thinking that you are thinking the water is getting in through the grout, in large enough quantities to then leak out the bottom and pool. I am skeptical. It seems to me that that wall sees less water spray than the side wall, at least.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase