Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Berserker

DWV Schematic Overview

Curious if anyone would mind checking my DWV schematic. We're building a barndominium on my wives ranch, and before I rough out I would like someone to peek over my shoulder. Main question is whether a double wye 2" can be used with a shop sink/washing machine combo. I think the rest is fairly standard. You may need to cross-reference the two to ensure you get the full picture. Ignore the dashed lines, they are just references in my part to get pieces dimensioned.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
wwhitney

A couple quick comments, not thorough:

Where's the vent for the double lavatory?

You can't use a wye-fitting where a horizontal trap arm meets the vertical vent/drain stack, you need a sanitary tee. So for the shop sink/washing machine hitting that stack back to back, you'd need a double sanitary tee (sometimes called a double fixture fitting). I'm not aware of any issue using a double sanitary tee there.

I think there is generally a lot of flexibility in the height at which a washer stand pipe hits the stack, so instead of using a double fixture fitting, you could just stack two sanitary tees.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Berserker

The vent isn't shown, but it will be there. I wasn't aware that a sanitary T was different from a y other than one left at 90 degrees. Your saying that in a vertical stack, you cannot use a wye to branch out horizontally or at any angle, and that all wyes must remain horizontally oriented? Also, I thought stacking two sanitary ts on top of each other would create a wet vent which I thought wasn't permitted here? Thank you for the response, please clarify my questions if you might.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
wwhitney

The horizontal drain line between the trap outlet and the vent connection is called the trap arm. To avoid the possibility of siphoning the trap it is required that a level line from the "spill level" of the trap (called the trap weir) through the trap arm hits the vent connection before hitting the top of the trap arm pipe.

That requirement means that the total length of the trap arm is limited (as the trap arm need at least 1/4" slope per foot), and that if a tee fitting is used to both turn the drain vertical and connect the vent, it has to be a sanitary tee. [And that is the only time a sanitary tee is used.] With a wye (and 45, i.e. a combo tee), the vent connection would be at too low an elevation. After the vent connection and the end of the trap arm, you can use wyes in the drain line at any orientation.

As to the stacked sanitary tees, that is a good question, I'm a unclear on that. If you utility sink requires only a 1-1/2" drain, and you bring it into a 2" sanitary tee stacked on the 2" washer san tee, I would think that the like 6" or so of possible wet vent would be OK, but it bears researching the plumbing code.

If it isn't OK, then you'd either have to use a double fixture fitting, or you could briefly split the stack into two parallel segments. The drain portions can rejoin directly between the lower sanitary-tee (i.e. one 45's toward the other, and they join in a wye), and the vent portions can rejoin 6" above the flood rim of both fixtures.

BTW, I'm not 100% sure I fully follow your sketches. Also BTW, you know that the loop vents for the island sinks have to be plumbed using drainage patterns until they reach a height above the floor rim of the sinks?

Cheers, Wayne
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #5
Berserker

Dwv

Thanks Wayne, I follow what you're saying. I'll use a double fixture fitting.

Regarding the loop vents, I've got one that I plumbed up 6 years ago without an incident, and it goes all the way to the granite bottom. I assume that height is what you are referring to.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #6
wwhitney

Sorry "floor rim" should be "flood rim," the point at which water spills out of the sink.

Your loop vent piping should be made up as if it were a drain, using drainage fittings and slopes, until it gets to a height of (I think) 6" above the flood rim of the sink. The idea is that if your drain got clogged, and water backed up and filled up the loop vent until it spilled out of the sink, then once you unclog the drain, you want to be sure the loop vent empties out and you don't have any trapped water.

Cheers, Wayne

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase