Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
mark the tile guy

Stains on un sealed porcelain tiles

I have installed a un sealed porcelain tile in a bathroom. I used kerdi bond un modified thinset and did a thorough clean up right away after install. When i went to seal it i could see water stains and foot prints in the light of day. I used heavy duty tile and grout cleaner at strongest suggest mix and it did not lift the stains one bit.

Need to get the stains up before I can seal it and grout it and move on.

perhaps my warning sign should have been that the glue marks from the tile boxes did not come off with a scrubbing either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old 01-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, most porcelain tile gain no benefit from being sealed...to work, a sealer must be absorbed, and porcelain is pretty impervious. Unless the porcelain is polished (which grinds off the top surface), it doesn't help. Can help on the grout, depending on the type.

Did you follow the instructions precisely on the cleaner? It often takes a bit of time, and elbow grease, assuming it's not something that won't come up at all. Exactly what did you use?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #3
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

You don't seal porcelain. No reason to. Sealer can't absorb into the tile as Jim stated above.
Where did you hear that?

As far as the water marks and footprints go, try barkeeper's friend.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
mullet
░░░░░░░

That^^^^
Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Mark!

To help us understand more, can you tell us if your tile is:
1) An unglazed porcelain?
2) A polished porcelain?
3) Or a glazed porcelain?

The product you used is a high alkaline cleaner when it sounds a lot more like you need a slightly acidic cleaner. As a TEST, try dampening a rag with vinegar and clean in one little tiny spot to see if you're getting the results you need. I'd start with a 50:50 solution of water and vinegar. You can increase to full strength vinegar, but it's best to start with the weakest solution that will do the job. Make sure to use a damp rag to rinse off the low acidic pH when you're done.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mark, All,

A little clarification on Unglazed porcelain tiles. Although porcelain tiles absorb very little moisture, Polished porcelain MUST be sealed. Polishing means grinding, and when the surface is ground the pores are opened. The contaminants actually lodge in the pores. As Kurt mentioned, white vinegar would be the first step. Then use a grout release type product before grouting.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase