Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 04-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Johnny P

Don't know what went wrong, well sort of

So I went to polish our granite counter top after removing the kitchen faucet, figured now is the time. Use variable speed polisher with an 800 grit dry 4" polishing pad then moved on to 1,500, and finally 3500. I used a cleaner to remove built up mineral deposits with a razor blade. Figured I had removed all wax and such. I guess the sealer did not come off and using the pads more like smeared the sealer. I let a sealer remover sit for an hour and still did not remove smeared build-up.

Any ideas or products I can use to correct this?

Thanks.

Of coarse the shiny image is what it is suppose to look like.
Attached Images

Johnny P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Initially, it looks like a surface that’s not polished fine enough rather than anything to do with sealer. But I know it’s tough to take super sharp pictures of granite polishing.

It’s one thing to edge polish bullnoses and such. And it’s another to try perfectly replicating the factory polish of a countertop. Let alone a granite. Let alone using dry pads instead of wet. Now dry pads have come a long way in getting much better than they used to and I’ll admit it’s been years since I’ve used dry pads.

Which that in mind, I’ll ask: are you sure your pad system doesn’t have a 3,000 grit that you’re missing? A 3,500 pad is usually the final pad after a 3,000 grit pad. What color is your 3,000 pad? And is the business end of the pad smeared with what looks to be dirty wax...or are they clean?

EDIT: I was assuming you’re polishing JUST the area under the faucet...but are you polishing the ENTIRE countertop?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Johnny P

Sorry for the delay,

I am polishing our granite counter top that has been in use for 8 yrs. There was some calcium water stains I noticed when I was replacing the faucet and decided to use the 3 pads i had mentioned. I first used a cleaner and then softly a new razor with water to remove most of the deposits.
The 3500 pad did have some dirty looking material. Wasn't sure what it was, but when I was using the pads, it looked like something was smearing, but i could not remove it with either a seal stripper or anything. I thought the 800 grit was supposed to polish and then anything used above that would just make that shine even better. I did not know that you were supposed to use the pads only on non-sealed granite.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Last pad needs to be done wet to dry, there's a polishing compound in it which is most likely what you are seeing.

Try going over it again with same pad, start wet and as you start evaporating the water lighten up on the pressure.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
mullet
░░░░░░░

I used this, with a hogs pad. follow the instructions and I had the granite (ubatuba < lol not sure) super super shiny and has been that way for 5 years near the sink.

MB-20 Stone Granite Polishing Cream-- 2.2lb

Norton Ultra Grizzly Hog's Hair Pad -- 7 3/4 Inch Diameter

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase