Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #76
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

Just trying to help you out Tiki. Your schtick gets old it's like the gridding threads all over again. You love trying to make other people feel inferior. Whatever makes you feel better. We all have our ways no one is perfect.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #77
The Kid

I would have to agree.

LT, your really a great guy most of the time, its when you get all bent out on your own propaganda that makes most people say, "WTF".

I think its fantastic that you strive to be the cleanest around, but its "your" thing so keep it to yourself.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #78
Kilauea
LT

This forum is like panning for gold.You have to go thru a ton of mud and dirt before finding a jewel.

Im not a great guy.Not about this tile stuff.Im not trying to sell anything.I dont promote my business here.There is no sugar coating.I have many friends.Im just real.Like I said,I could show you better than I can type.

I have gotten alot of jewels since Ive been on here,and its been worth the ride.Rob Z,Brian,Gueuze,Davy,Rod,Dan,Jack,Mick....thank you.Many more I didnt name.

TYW,NTCA,CTEF etc.All great venues.Frankly,none of my customers care about being the only "certified" installer in our area code,my affiliation with NTCA,or my comments/questions on TYW.

Sean,youve talked alot of smack over the years.

I forgive you for calling me an ass.

Jeremy-kinda like I told Sean.Speak for yourself.Maybe you say WTF.I dont care!!

2nd generation tile installer

Quote:
The apprentice rocket scientist was having a hard time programming the launching sequence.His professor watched impaitently and said,"C'mon its not tilesetting!!!"

Last edited by Kilauea; 01-19-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Kilauea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #79
Kilauea
LT

And Sean,awfully nice of you to help me out.Thanks for your help!!!And who are you?

Quote:
I think its fantastic that you strive to be the cleanest around, but its "your" thing so keep it to yourself.
posted by Jeremy

Ok.Here is a wtf to you.The thread is called.....How clean do you set tile?

Besides getting a jab at me in,would you have posted to how "clean" you set tile?

Quote:
The apprentice rocket scientist was having a hard time programming the launching sequence.His professor watched impaitently and said,"C'mon its not tilesetting!!!"
Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #80
The Kid

No Jab intended.

As to the how clean do you set tile remark, I will induldge!

I tend to keep a fairly tight work area, my tile is almost always "grout ready" when I set it, meaning joints and surface is clean. As far as my clothes go, I do look like a working man. I wear evidence of what I do, I do not stress over the fact that im not "Dapper Dan" at the end of the day.

In fact I prefer to be abit dirty, if I wanted to stay clean all the time id get a desk job. I throw away a lot of buckets and sometimes im to lazy to clean trowels (rarely but it happens). My truck is always a mess, my back yard is always cleaner then my front porch so to speak because appearance doesn't matter to me. My work is top notch (at least I strive for it to be) and that is all "I" care about when it comes to my work habbits.

cheers!

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #81
A.J. Holst
General Manager, Battles and Battles Tile

Interesting thread, having installed my fair share of epoxy floors, I have complete wardrobe of epoxy protected clothing.

What I do know about cleanliness comes directly from conersations with GCs, site superintendents and home owners --- show up neat and clean and leave your work area neat and clean at the end of the day...the client appreciates it.

Isn't it easier to clean at the end of the day or as you go to prepare for the next day's work? I also believe it is easier to clean wet as opposed to cured materials in joints, on tools, in buckets, etc.

If you want to leave the job site looking clean, wear coveralls or a hazmat suit and take it off when you're done.

www.BBTileTN.com
A.J. Holst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #82
Kilauea
LT

http://www.bacweb.org/apprentice_con...p?g2_itemId=39

Quote:

Last edited by Kilauea; 02-01-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #83
Kilauea
LT

Quote:
Look at all those shiny tools! Can I be your helper one day if I'm in your area? I'll work for free even, I just wanna get thin set on my hands and touch all your stuff!!

Id actually wanna be your helper.Im dying to knock this thinset off with a margin.It takes about 10 seconds.All u do is hold the trowel or margin and chip off old thinset in a stabbing motion.Very easy.No need for chemicals.

posted by John

Quote:
Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #84
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Top notch work and production are 1 and 2 for me. Clean is probably 3, but never at the expense of 1 or 2.

A little explanation: cleaning tile and joints as i set goes directly to 2, but cleaning my hands, clothes, work area or tools often does not IMO. I do clean all those things, but again, not at the expense of 1 or 2. At the end of the day, it all gets cleaned.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #85
Kilauea
LT

OOPS!

My bad..I didnt even realize this pic didnt post until we was eating lunch today,lol.

You guys were prolly like WTH!!
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #86
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Don't worry LT.
That 1/2" by 1/2" notch is one of those cheapies from Lowes, if it was a Marshalltown I would be upset.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #87
jwmezzanotte

Lowes?
Should be so lucky! Lol

I have marshaltown too, dont like it much.

I know you can chip it with a sharp margin. Didnt work on the ones in the photo, thats a couple years of buildup. That picture is how my my ex helper cleans tools. Bleh.
The CLR loosened it up real well and was able to get it clean with the margin. Im using again, it looks more or less new.

Ive had a good look through the trailer, not to happy. Some tools ive gotten clean, some ive replaced.

Last edited by jwmezzanotte; 05-02-2014 at 10:54 PM.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #88
alex.h

I am reading this i fell like i am working with old italians again!

"We used to wear our wedding suits to work"

"We used to lay tiles and then pic up our girlfriends"

"Once a guy asked me if i was the president"

But then again would not do self leveler of mud jobs . "My boots will get dirty"

I keep my tools clean to my standards they keeps theirs to their own. What ever.

What mathers is the work you leave behind. I never heard some one say. "the guy was so clean". But people will coment on how clean your work/work erea was.
If you work in a dump. and you feel comfortable in it. what ever... as long as when the day is done you dont leave that behind. Thats what matters
Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #89
jwmezzanotte

This ^
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase