Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Viking Girl

kerdi backing -- sheetrock?

I own John's latest book, and I'm about to order John's new e-book on kerdi showers. I know that the point of kerdi is to make things waterproof, and as a bonus I should just have to use plain-old sheetrock on the walls under the kerdi. I believe everything John and the manufacturer say about the waterproof business, but the sheetrock thing is hard to accept it. Is it overkill (and just plain silly) to still use cement board under the kerdi? Thanks for your common sense answers! Help me believe!
Viking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hey there VG! Yep, it is overkill to do more than just the drywall with Kerdi. Feel better? Ready to commit to a drywall and Kerdi shower? Really, drywall is easier to work with than CBU. I did my shower last year after learning about Kerdi from this site. I bought into the whole concept of drywall under Kerdi being a good thing. I did use 5/8" drywall just because it is a bit stiffer.

I haven't finished going through the Kerdi Shower book yet. What I have read is really very good, I only wish JB had it published before I did my shower last year!
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
tileguy80

I have done a few kerdi showers since being converted to the kerdi way. At first I also was skeptical. Drywall is more than enough strength wise. The only knock on drywall is that it falls apart when it gets wet. Not a problem with kerdi. Drywall is stronger than most people give it credit for. I will take a shower done with 5/8 drywall and kerdi over cement board any day of the week.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
sometimer

Hello VG,

I just hung my kerdi today . I did a lot of searching and found sheetrock was the best. you can use cbu but, you would not be taking full advantage of the system(the ease of hanging and cutting drywall)

Have Fun.....

Will
sometimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Viking Girl

We have yet to get your first name. I'm sure even in MN they give out first names!

I concur with what everyone has said here. The only addition that I would propose overkill with cement board and Kerdi would be in a steam shower. I wouldn't want to take any chances with condensation.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Viking Girl

Ok, I believe! I believe! Thanks much, everyone. I'll take the plunge next summer with the sheetrock, and I'll use 5/8". The name's Jennifer, by the way. Viking Girl refers to my ancestral heritage and has nothing to do with our state's pro football team.

Thanks for holding my hand on this issue! This site rocks!
Viking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase