Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Pre-slope question for rectangular shower area

You folks really know your stuff. I have a question re: preslopes. I have a rectangular shower area. The drain is not centered. The run from the drain to the furthest wall is 6'. The other 3 walls are roughly 2' from the drain. I get that the slope from the drain to the furthest wall should rise 1.5". My question is how much should it rise from the drain to the near walls? 0.5" would give me the 1/4" per foot I need, and seems to be what I would get if I use some of the tools from Mark E (goof proof shower), but then it would not be a level line along the wall and I'm struggling to see how the wall tiles would look against a floor bed that slopes.

I'm guessing that I should drop 1.5" over the shorter three 2' sides (overkill re: slope) and then the same 1.5" over the 6' run (to code), which will then give me a level outer edge of my preslope (and ultimately the tile bed), but is 1.5" over 2' too much??

Hope that all makes sense.
ds_turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
John Bridge
Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dave, Welcome aboard.

Keep the perimeter of the floor level all the way around. The longest run is 1/4 in. per foot, or 1-1/2 inches in your case (you are correct).

The three other runs will be steep, but not too steep. You won't have to figure those slopes; just go from the top of the drain to the level perimeter. Most of us will create a mud "screed" around the perimeter first.

A very experienced setter might be able to cut the long slope down a bit -- maybe to an inch, but if everything is not perfect you'll have "bird baths" in that run. I would stick to 1-1/2 in.

Never form the perimeter out of level. It's a mess, and it looks terrible.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Da Home Builder
Welcome, Dave.

Keep in mind also that the 1/4" per foot slope is a minimum and you need your floor to slope everywhere, including that far corner, from which you should be measuring your maximum horizontal distance from the drain.

Moving the drain to the center of the shower floor is always a good idea.

My opinion; worth price charged.

cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase