Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Moredelays2012

Kitchen floor prep

First time posting and I have read nearly every post on underlayment for stone.

Here are the basics
New construction - Subfloor is either 5/8 or 3/4 -will confirm (glued and screwed)

Kitchen and tiled area is on 1st floor over full basement

Stone is 16 inch travertine and will butt up to 3/4 hardwood set over subfloor. 600 sqft of stone

Builder put half inch plywood over subfloor - nailed to ubfloor but not joists with no gaps between pieces - need to confirm if glued. Realize this is not to tile association of north America standard

Builder wants to set to plywood - tile installer says only builder he does this for but doesn't like it for stone. Recommends going with hardie backer or real pref is dura rock - admits with thinset he uses for plywood has had no issues with builder and cracked tiles in 15 yrs but recalls only a couple stone jobs. Master bath is on durrock.

Now for Question:

I want to keep transition from tile to hardware as close as i can. Cabinets are set but can lift island from floor or raise edge for counter tops (not set)

Should we install 1/4 hardie over current setup
Should we go with thinset durrock
Should we tear out plywood and redo with durrock
Should we use something like blanke securemat over current setup

No cost to me for plywood setup, no cost to tear out and redo plywood since not to standard, cost to me for any underlayment - hardie, durrock, securemat, etc.

I m trying to balance time, cost and protecting my investment.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Brian,

Welcome to the forum,

1- Natural stone requires 1 1/4" of plywood, usually as 2 layers, with the second layer installed as per this article. This is pretty darn important with that softer stone you have.

2- 1/4 hardie backer or durock or permabase don't matter which. Just don't use hardie siding. Its not the same. All CBU's are set with a layer of thinset underneath then secured with ring shanked nails or screws.

3- Measure the height of the finished floor subfloor + 1/2 or 3/4" plywood + 1/16" thinset + 1/4" cbu +1/16" thinset (maybe more*) + 3/8" tile Does that leave enough room for the dishwasher ? icemaker? wine chiller? trash compactor? and bun warmer?

4- While setting tiles over plywood can be done, I don't know of any Pro who will warranty that kind of install.

5- Can you number your questions? It saves on typing and we aren't paid by the word. Come to think of it we aren't paid at all.

* The more out-of-flat your floor is gets added to this figure.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase