Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #61
greenjp

Ha, I figured that was the key

I hadn't looked too closely at the leveling systems but may now I guess I had figured they were for floors and larger sizes, but if it'll work on my wall then it's worth looking at.

jeff
Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #62
greenjp

Slowly making progress, here's the back wall so far with the corner shelf. I made the shelf with Wedi board per their instructions, 2x 1/2" sheets bonded together with the sealant and a strip of the cement coating on the front face. I shimmed it a bit with little strips of the foam in between the two sheets to provide for a bit of a slope from the corner. Adhered it to the walls with the same sealant. Seems very solid and I expect it to be more so when tiled.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #63
BruceL

Jeff,

Looks like you're well on your way to installing tiles, and looks pretty good.

On the leveling system, I'm installing 12x24 tiles on my shower wall (due to the complexity of my pattern I actually install very few full tiles) and have found a leveling system invaluable. Especially with the large tiles, but even with the smaller pieces I wind up with a bit of shifting when I tighten the levelers. I can see how with (much) more practice I would get better at exactly the right amount of thinset and pressure, but I'm happy to use a bit of equipment to make up for a lack of skill.

Bruce
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #64
greenjp

Bruce,
Thanks, and that's good insight. Most of mine are full 9x12s, with the sides being either about 9x11 or 9x5.5. What system are you using? The QEP LASH, which seems affordable and easy to source, seem to be suggested for use when setting tiles with a 1/2x1/2 trowel, which is larger than I'm using.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #65
BruceL

I'm using the Rubi tile level system. You can actually see it on the section of wall I did last night in the pictures http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...2&postcount=22. Seems to work well. I'm using a 1/2" trowel + backbuttering. I *think* it might work with 1/4x3/8 as well, though I'm not sure. There's a bit of extra space usually, but I suspect on the higher points (kerdi band) there might not be.

Seems to work well. The instructions tell you to use it on the sides and not at the corners, though I'm not quite sure why. Following the instructions...

Bruce
Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #66
greenjp

hmm, Rubi and some of the other suggest a minimum 12x12 size tile, or the use of a 1/2" trowel. QEP does have a "flat" LASH version that is for smaller tiles.

Anyone have thoughts on the suitability of any of these for 9x12 (and 9x6 or so) tile? Thanks,
Old 11-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #67
greenjp

A little more progress. I ended up getting a set of LASH clips, wedges, and pliers from HD. I read several old threads on the system and noted two things - first, they now have a "flat" clip that's suitable for use with tiles using a 1/4x1/4 trowel, and they offer pliers for $20. These seem to address the two big beefs people used to have?

As a complete and utter noob with only the basic instructions on the packages and some so-so videos as guidance, I found them to be quite easy to use and they seem to have done a good job. Certainly better than I'd done on my own

Did some more wall tiling and finished the curb. A question - in the lower corner there, I have a very tight gap. Smaller than 1/16th, but it's there. I've been trying to get ~1/8" but didn't quite get it. Any potential problems with this? If so, any good ways to address it now?

Sorry for the upside down pictures
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #68
greenjp

Bit by bit I continue making progress

6 rows up on the back wall and this one where the handle and showerhead are. Above this I'm going to do a horizontal accent all the way around using the 2x2 and linear mosaics I used on the floor. The 3rd wall has 5 rows up, the 6th has to wait for the precise measurements for the accents and the niche that'll be going in.

For the accent strip, I'm going to use the linear mosaic in about a 2.5" wide band (4 pieces) along the top of the wall tiles as seen in the photo. Above that will be a 4 high strip (8") of the 2x2 mosaic, and then above that another 2.5" wide band of the linear mosaic. The niche will be centered in this such that a single strip of the linear mosaic will border it on the top and the bottom, with the others coming up to it's sides. I think it'll look nice

Question - the linear mosaic is a bit thicker than the squares, what are your opinions on just putting it up and having the different thicknesses as a "feature" , or taking some effort to build out the 2x2s to line up. I have some scrap Ditra from F&D which I could use to build out the surface for the 2x2. Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #69
MisterJJ

My accent stripe is a little thicker too. I was going to use a v-notch trowel that should be better for the mosaics and also result in thinner thinset so I'm hoping I can get a good match.

So how's that tile saw working for you? The one complaint I've seen is that the guide moves, which I've seen, so I've been using a clamp on it. Sure is nice having it right there to work with and not make a hell of a mess.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #70
greenjp

I've got a few different trowels as well. I'm using a 1/4 x 3/8 for the wall tiles, a 1/4 x 1/4 for the 2x2 mosaic, and a 1/4 x 3/16 v-notch for the strip mosaic.

The saw is working nicely, though I have exactly zero experience with any other saws so I don't know what I might be missing For any other noobs reading this is the Skil 3550 which Amazon sells for ~$120. It has an extendable table and a blade cover which reduces splashing compared to the lower priced Skil or the <$100 offerings at the big box stores. The splash cover does work nicely, I set it up right on the floor in the bathroom and it does not make a mess. Sometimes when doing a small cut by eye I'll lock the blade up and then it sprays a bit but nothing a towel in my lap doesn't handle.

As for the guide, I can see why someone would say it moves. You have to tighten it down very firmly. Sometimes when it seems like it's locked it you'll bump it and it'll move. I've gotten familiar with it and have pretty good luck getting it locked down and straight. I mark both the beginning and end of the cut on the tile, then verify alignment before cutting. Also I've found that putting a short cut into the tile at the end of the cut line helps avoid a little chip breaking off at the end.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #71
MisterJJ

My porcelain tile seems extra brittle. Tried a different blade and it still chips. Turned the tile upside down and it's perfect. I still get a chunk out at the end of a cut but with the tile upside down it chips out of the backside.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #72
greenjp

Got a chunk of tiling done over the weekend. The niche is in and the accent strip is complete. Just need to finish the sides of the niche, my shelves, and 3 rows of tile on each wall and I'll be done with the tile. Already grouted the floor so just have the walls to do, caulking, and install the door. Oh and I bumped the shower handle and verified that water still comes out Getting there...

And all the pictures are sideways. Go figure.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #73
greenjp

After a month and a half of no activity I was finally able to finish up the walls this weekend. I am pretty happy with how it looks. Now it's just down to the shelves and finishing the niche, grout & caulk, and installing the door.

A few questions as I head down the stretch:
- left a ~3/8" gap between the tile and ceiling, which I plan on caulking. I have both the Mapesil T silicone and the Keracaulk S acrylic in the matching color of the Flexcolor CQ grout I'm using. Planning to use the Mapesil everywhere inside the shower and for the door frame, but thought maybe it'd be OK to use the acrylic at the ceiling. Thoughts?
- I'm going to use the Rondec profile in the niche. It seems like it could be tricky to get the cuts perfect (I have the corners but might miter it, haven't decided) and line it all up nicely and tile at the same time. Could I set the profiles with something like the Wedi sealant or just a thin layer of thinset, wait for it to set then install the tile? I'm planning to do the top and bottom of the niche with the wall tile and wrap the sides with the same mosaic pattern on the walls and the back of the niche.
- I'll be needing to drill several holes for the door frame on each wall. I have a set of ceramic drill bits which worked nicely for the shower head hole, which I drilled under running water in a sink prior to setting. Any tips on how to do this on the wall? I thought maybe a big wet sponge held above the spot I'm drilling, slowly squeezing it to run water down?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #74
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Have you thought about tiling the ceiling to avoid the gap?

Most of the time, a 1/4 inch bit is used for shower doors but check your door to make sure. A second person can help by spraying water on the bit as you drill. I have also seen installers use a plastic water bottle with a small hole poked near the bottom. It will pour a small stream of water to keep the bit cool.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #75
greenjp

I hadn't really thought of tiling the ceiling. At this point I'm happy with how it looks and have already done the exterior corners in such a fashion that I'm afraid it might look like an afterthought. A small caulk joint at the ceiling should look OK, it's 8' up after all. My wife's short so she won't have a good view of it

So any other thoughts on my questions? Also, I understand it's OK to grout the interior corners of a niche? I used the Wedi premade one if it matters.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase