Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
69sixpackbee

Grout Recommendation For Pebble Shower

Greetings!
New kid on the block with a quick question.
I am redoing the shower in my guest bathroom (at my wife’s behest) to a pebble bottom. I have picked out the rocks and the color grout. I bought Polyblend sanded for the shower floor. My question is, do you recommend an admix in place of the water or is it sufficient as is just mixing with distilled water? Or, should I pitch the Polyblend for another brand all together? I have used Poly in the past without issue but this is the first attempt with stones. I will be sealing them before as well as after the grout is fully cured.

Thanx for your help!!

Bud
Old 02-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Don't reinvent the wheel. Just use distilled water.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
rmckee84

What is the reccomendations for grout joint width for polyblend unsanded? Most unsanded isn't good for anything over 1/8" and most pebble floors have gaps bigger than that. I would pitch the polyblend and go with a higher quality sanded grout or even an epoxy. Ardex FL, laticrete permacolor select, or mapei FA would be good cement based grouts. Spectralock and ardex Wa are good epoxy grouts.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
69sixpackbee

Thanx guys!
Bud
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
69sixpackbee

12 x 24 Pattern Recommendation

Hello, folks!

I finally picked the tile for my small guest bath. My choices were pretty limited so I am going to go with 12x24 porcelain tiles on the floor, half wall and full up to the ceiling in just the small 3x3 neo-angle shower niche. I am doing a pebble bottom and will have a mosaic border with white pencil above and below that runs through the shower and continues as the top of the half wall all around the periphery of the room and I will finish it with a wood wainscot cap painted in white gloss enamel to match the baseboard. This will also be high enough to serve as the backsplash for the pedestal sink I am installing in the corner. I plan to do the floor as well as the first 4 feet in a standard 1/3rd pattern and then in the shower finish it in a vertical straight run from the border to the 8' ceiling and bullnose edging. I have never laid large pattern tiles so I am fairly newb to this but I have the necessary skills (IMHO) to tackle this. The bathroom is only 8x5.
I will probably use the QEP leveling spacers as they are readily available unless you can convince me otherwise. I will put a Schluter strip at the carpeted 24" entrance to terminate the tile there. I will be doing this over the course of a few of days. The first wall tiles over the ledger board that I attach to the wall as well as the mosaic and pencil. The following day I will cut and lay the bottom tiles and then tackle the vertical run in the shower. Does this sound like a reasonable methodology?

Does this pose any potential concerns? The floor is concrete smooth and devoid of any cracking. The walls in the shower are newly installed Hardiebacker with the complete Redgard treatment and the rest of the walls are the existing painted, knockdown textured sheetrock.

Thanx!

Bud

Last edited by 69sixpackbee; 02-18-2018 at 10:33 AM.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Bud.

Please keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
The floor is concrete smooth and devoid of any cracking.
Not quite sure what you might mean by smooth there, but what you need is flat. Really, really flat anywhere you plan to install those large format tiles.

The industry standard for substrate flatness for tiles that size is no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th" in ten feet nor 1/16th" in two feet. Difficult to achieve, but you'll be glad to have it when you start installing those tiles.

As for the choice of materials and layout, I would consult Mrs. Bud on that and do whatever she likes.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
69sixpackbee

Thanx... sorry. I did click start new thread but it added one here. Mods..... can you move it for me or should I try again?

Thanx
Old 05-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
69sixpackbee

Which Ardex Product Over Dormant Crack?

Hifolks.
I am in the thralls of a bathroom redo and am in a minor quandary. I have one crack that is in the floor which seems to be a dormant crank. This is on a slab house built in the late '80's. I was pondering setting down Ditra and then topping it with the 12x24 porcelain tiles I am planning on setting. The room is small (8x5) and I chiseled off the old D'Hanis clay tiles and got the floor fairly smooth. I have been reading articles and posts about using Ardex X5 or X77 with good, long lasting results,
I would like to get y'all's take on these products vs. using an isolation membrane. I am not looking for waterproof capabilities but, moreover, are these modified "flexible" thinsets living up to their claims from the "real world" installers.

Thanx!

Bud
Old 05-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't see a need for Ditra. I would use an anti-fracture membrane like Redgard, Auqa Defense, Hydoban or one of the others on the market.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
69sixpackbee

Well then, I have lots of Redgard that I am using for the walls and pan in the shower so then I guess I can just roll a couple coats on the floor and then just tile over that as usual? I had thought of that but I am glad that someone said that it is advisable.
Thanx!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, read the bucket. I usually put down two coats fairly thick. About credit card thickness seems to work for me.

Get the slab clean and wipe it with a wet sponge to pick up any dust. I use a 6 inch wide paint roller that has a 3/8 nap.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase