Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #601
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Daniel, if you've read through this thread, many of the installers who have used both have been complimentary about our Flexcolor CQ product. We would ask you to remove the existing grout and re-grout with the Flexcolor CQ. Allow at least 3 days for curing (if it's a very humid environment, a couple of extra days is cheap insurance). Give us a call at the number below if you have any questions.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #602
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Is there any problem with the grout on the walls, especially down near the floor?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #603
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

I'm not into product bashing, but there have been quite a few Fusion failures in showers reported in other tile related groups. I believe one installer has had to redo 3 or 4 showers for himself after product problems. Custom has reached out to offer payment for regrouting. Reputations are hard to get reimbursed for though.

Kyle's Tile LLC
Ocean View, Delaware
www.KylesTile.com

JTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #604
Alissa Bass

Advice on Fusion Pro grout in shower floor

Hi I am looking for advice regarding Fusion Pro grout in my shower. I recently had it installed in my new shower floor. Now I am reading all kinds of horror stories on the internet about people who have used this grout in their shower and it is now washing away, growing mold etc. Are there any precautions I can take to prevent any of these things. I am especially concerned about it washing out of the grout lines. We have not even started using the bathroom yet but I am becoming very concerned. Are there any type of sealers I can apply that might prevent future problems with washing out. Thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #605
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I have had good experiences with the latest FP grout in showers. Just allow it to cure for at LEAST 7 days with no water on it.

Avanti Tile & Stone
"Come to the Darkside"...We Have Cookies...!
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #606
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc

I've heard all of the horror stories also.

I've used Fusion on many showers, including shower floors, and it's worked perfectly well. However, as a precaution, I am currently not using any of the single component grouts, like Fusion, on shower floors at this time. I'm now using either epoxy or cement instead.

I don't believe the sealers will help and some can probably hurt. If you've waited 7 days for the cure time then things should be ok. If the grout is already in just continue to use the shower and monitor things.

Please keep in mind that Fusion is advertised as stain proof but that doesn't mean that it's "cleaning proof". It will get dirty just like anything else.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #607
Steve Taylor
Technical Rep

We have had issues with Fusion Pro on shower floors, but for everyone that had an issue we have 100's more that went fine. We know it is critical that the mud bed must be dry before installing the Fusion Pro; generally 3-5 days is sufficient. After the Fusion Pro is installed it is important that it has a full 7 days to dry before using the shower. I think in many cases they do wait, but the shower is completely enclosed with the door closed and there is no place for the evaporating water to go. I recommend opening the door and make sure there is air movement for 7 days. It may sound like more work and time, but the stain resistant benefits are worth it.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #608
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Seems we have more than one thread going on the same product. Steve Taylor of Custom has explained some things in: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=123081
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #609
roboreloaded

I didn't see the responses after my post about the grout. FP has held up well on the walls and outside the shower. It only has the pink mildew on the floor and where water drains from the niche. It was when I was cleaning the mildew that the grout was coming out of the joints. I think I am going to try and clean out as much of the floor grout as possible (while avoiding nicking the membrane) and try using an epoxy grout.

As far as the installation waiting times, it was probably 2-3 days after tiles were set and then 10-15 days (no door) before showering as I had to order the shower door to be installed.

For maintenance, we have been using a squeegee on all the walls and floors after showers and leaving the door open for shower to dry out.

Last edited by roboreloaded; 08-04-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Adding more info about installation
roboreloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #610
Steve Taylor
Technical Rep

Yes, Fusion Pro will bond to existing grout, both existing Fusion Pro and cement based grouts. It is not necessary to dig the majority of the grout out, as when re-grouting with cement based grouts. You only need to remove an 1/8" below the tile surface to be able to re-grout with Fusion Pro.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #611
Bob LaBlaw

Is fusion pro water proof/resistant ? Mfr doesnt mention it but says can be used in showers and doesn't need sealer.

Last edited by Bob LaBlaw; 09-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Bob LaBlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #612
Steve Taylor
Technical Rep

Fusion Pro is considered water resistant. It can be used in wet areas, including shower floors, but should not be used in submerged areas like pools or fountains or in steam showers. It must be completely dry before exposing to water, we suggest a minimum of 7 days before using a shower. If you want a waterproof grout, we suggest Prism grout.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #613
Bob LaBlaw

Ill stick with fusion, its perfect for a dummy like me.
I never grouted before so I did small sections used clean water every time. Zero haze, didn't use haze remover.

Only issue I had was some shrink spots in the deeper joints. (I touched those up with FP and a plastic putty knife.

I'm not taking any grout off the ceiling tiles, can I rub a thin layer of fusion pro on those joints ONLY to match the walls color & texture or would that just flake off? (FP is a lot grainier)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #614
Steve Taylor
Technical Rep

Fusion Pro can be used to touch up imperfections. Thin layers will stay bonded to older grout.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #615
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc

Sounds like you're doing a regrout. The only odd thing that you may notice on the ceiling is that the existing cement grout will darken with moisture and Fusion will not. So you may have some uneven darkening after a shower. But it's nothing to worry about.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase