Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #46
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Regarding your niche too,if you had made it wider,you would ran into extra labor for sure,along with possible structural issues as you would be cutting into several studs horizontally......which in my mind,would require inspector and/or engineer etc to evaluate what would be needed.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #47
2stubburn1

If done stacked would have left only about 5 inches of tile on short wall at corners and about 7 inches at corners either side of long wall. Don't know if that would have been better then what I got.

So, in short, I guess the tile was just really far too cupped to make any layout work without slivers without having ginormous grout lines. I guess. Or my tile was just too big for my wall which would be my fault.

He still hasn't grouted yet so I have to speak now or forever hold my pee.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #48
2stubburn1

Auto play....the one wonky floor tile.

He agreed to switch out any tiles I didn't like or file them down to make uniform.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #49
2stubburn1

Auto play...niche

Yeah, the labor shouldn't have been more because we already agreed to it but I know there were structural issues. So that is why I relented. Figured he just know what the walls can take and all.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #50
Autoplay
Tile Setter

The spell checker here is funny Long time to be crossing your legs lol.

Your two side/end walls,have equal/same size cuts in relationship to every third row. If layout shifted,(and backwall centered)you would still have skinnys,but they would be on end/return wall,verses what you have now which is on back wall.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #51
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

I'm gonna miss this thread when this job is done. Look forward to reading while having my morning coffee.
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #52
2stubburn1

Add mesh in the corners and add another layer of redguard...

Can he do that without removing the bottom shelf? My husband said it's too late because there is already a shelf and redguard up. But then he also thought it was too late to switch out a floor tile. What exactly does the tiler need to do?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #53
2stubburn1

Just got response back

I asked him why he didn't use the mesh and he got really butt hurt about it basically. He said he's knows what he is doing unlike the guy who did my kitchen. Which is correct because we just gave my friend the kitchen job. There is a reason we are not having him do our bath. Dont see how that is relevant though.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #54
evan1968

Ahh yes, let me get another cup of coffee.

It is too late for the mesh and RedGuard on the bottom of the niche at this point unless he pops out that tile. That's up to you to decide to make him do that.
" I know what in doing!" ....yep he sorta does. 5/10 would not recommend.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #55
2stubburn1

Yeah he is pretty pissed ...

Not doing mesh tape beacause corners need caulk anyway. Nothing to do with the waterproofing. Pissed because my husband asked him questions about a warranty yesterday. He said this all should have been discussed before and we should have done our homework now instead of relying on internet ...

So shoot me ....
Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #56
tatumjonj

He's really right. You should have done your homework long before he ever put a tile up (or down), not in the middle of the job and right before he's getting ready to grout. Plus, you weren't there to supervise the entire installation, so you're really not 100% sure HOW he did the job. You're doing your homework late and discussing aspects of the job that should have been discussed 10 steps ago. It's like getting ready to pull a cake out of the oven and then worrying that you didn't add the right amount of sugar to the batter.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #57
2stubburn1

Post epoxy grout...

I know he still is doing touch ups so I am not going to spaz about not being completely perfect.

I know I am probably cruising for a bruising here but couldn't leave y'all hanging. Popcorn time!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #58
evan1968

Seriously, for what you paid, you got a really nice job. On the surface at least. Enjoy the new bathroom.

I see Waldo was removed from the floor. What was up with that tile anyway?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #59
tatumjonj

I'm not sure what's wrong with the job you're showing us??? I mean maybe it will leak, who knows at this point, but I don't get any indication of a poorly done job from the pictures you're presenting.

I mean I don't blame you for being picky. I'm picky which is why I do all the work myself. Not that I do it perfectly, but if it's not perfect I have nobody to blame but myself. But your pickiness should have come out long before a tile was put down.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #60
mark999

From what I can see from here I think your guy did a very good job and I am very very picky. I would of done a couple of things slightly different but then again I am very very picky. It looks like his skill set is quite high and he takes pride in his work which both are hard to find these days. And his price is reasonable.

I like for customers to say they want a super nice job. When they say I do not need a nice job or an A job I do not walk away I run.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase