Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #31
tatumjonj

What do you think is wrong with that job exactly? Why do you feel sick? With the exception of maybe using one questionable looking tile in the job, it looks okay to my eyes. I'd like to know exactly what you think is wrong with it.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:08 AM   #32
2stubburn1

That one tile had me worried because I haven't been able to enter the room to check out the rest of the floor up close and I was concerned about other possibly wonky tiles. Turns out, I spoke with the tiler last night and he said it's no big deal to switch out or adjust the wonky tiles so I am a bit calmer now. My hubby had me thinking it would be a big mess to fix so I panicked.

He does the wall today and is planning on doing a 50 offset running bond although we are using 12x24 wall tile which I was also skepticle about as I read you need to do 1/3 offset but if it doesn't cause serious lippage issues I do like the 50 off set better. I mentioned this concern to him before and he basically said it should be fine unless I am getting out a magnifying glass. He did say he would ensure square and plumb walls in the quote but it's a really old house so I don't know how feasable that is. Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #33
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Looks decent to I from this end. That one tile that looks smaller,is it a bullnose tile or a coloring effect of the tile?

If was my install,only thing I see I would of done different is to stop tile at center of doorway. That being said,maybe a marble saddle etc being installed at doorway?

IMO,what I can visually see in 2D land and pics,think you worrying too much.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #34
2stubburn1

Now onto a much bigger issue my hubby just noticed...waterproofing!

He is using a marble threshold, if that is what you mean. Sorry, not down with the lingo.

This is the MUCH bigger issue. Waterproofing in my niche! Gaps!

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is still working on it. I am going to hope he was just putting down a base coat and now is going back to add another layer or something.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2stubburn1; 06-21-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Add to
2stubburn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #35
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Should be fabric or mesh tape in those corners .
Liquid waterproofing is a funny animal. The thickness needs to be correct per manufacturer instructions. Too thin, it doesn't work. To thick, doesn't work either. To get the correct thickness, a wet film gauge is needed.
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #36
speed51133

as said, there should be a fiberglass mesh tape used in the corners where the liquid membrane was applied. the membrane is then saturated with liquid membrane. You cant just stuff the liquid in the gaps.

other than that, I think the tile job looks fine....
Old 06-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #37
2stubburn1

Update. Walls. Pre grout and pre niche. Thumbs up or down.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I will send another one post grout sand niche Thanks for indulging me in my obsession. I was thinking slivers but then I tend to nitpick don't I? Not sure how you get around that with the layout.

Yes, it's sideways. Sorry.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #38
rtnscustom

Exactly. It's always so awkward. "why did that cost so much, it took an hour? "

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk
rtnscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #39
rtnscustom

Uh, I'm sure the guy is ok, but he didn't mesh tape the corners. Strike one.
The lay out of the time is far from optimal. Unless I'm missing something you shouldn't have a one inch piece anywhere. It's funny that i can tell exactly what kind of customer you are. You are fine being picky as long as you're picky up front, like you're being. Communication is key. Only people who aren't confident of their work are scared of picky customers.
Keep us updated!

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk
rtnscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #40
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Rtnscustom.....yes you're missing that the installer centered the back wall,I.E. equal small cuts. I'm assuming that the two side walls would/will have same size cuts if say two side walls are both say 32"s etc.

Looks as if installer also installed at 33% offset,possibly tile a tad warped and installer took that into account,prior to commencement.

Niche should of been mesh taped prior to WPing as Evan suggested,but it appears it was siliconed,which I could live with. I know a primo installer,that spaces hardibacker to specs,and uses 100% silicone in any area that water might penetrate,including screw holes etc. Durarock I believe requires per specs mesh tape,but again I could live with silicone.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #41
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Did a job very similar in looks of tile,several weeks ago.

I too set it on 33% offset,and if you look close,you'll see where I have same size skinnys,on two side walls,where I carried the cut and the flow of material,from backwall to corner.

For the price you paying,IMO,is great! I woulda been more expensive.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #42
2stubburn1

What do you guys think I should tell him to do...

Before he starts epoxy grouting everything tomorrow. Should I tell him to use fabric or mesh tape in those niche corners? Change anything with the layout to avoid slivers? Any advice? My niche is going to be hex tile so I want to get ahead of anything that could go wrong with that too.

Do you guys even agree with the niche placement? I wasn't sure about that one from the get go but was talked into it. I was originally going for a long horizontal along my back wall 12 or 18x 60 or 24 high x 45 long. Both somewhere reachable from both tub and shower. Told it would be too big for my small bath/shower and look funny. I thought the current niche though might be exacerbating the sliver issue.

I am gone ALL day tomorrow unless my office shuts down because of our broken air conditioner which I doubt. So will have to just provide instructions and hope for the best.

Don't wanna be a p.i.t.a. So please lemme know. Just want it to be right. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 AM   #43
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Just have him use mesh in the corners of the niche and add another coat of RedGuard and be done with it.
Don't have him change anything with the layout to eliminate the slivers, it would just cause more headaches at this point. Layouts and niche placement should have been gone over and chosen before the tile was set.
Can't wait for epoxy grout time.
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:23 AM   #44
2stubburn1

Yeah, the niche thing I was kinda pressured into but I relented and trusted the expert. The layout also was discussed but had to be changed due to lippage from the original 50 offset. I would be fine with any layout as long as it's done right. I foolishly assumed he would know what would work best to avoid slivers him being the expert and all.

Yeah, I am a bit nervous about epoxy grout time. Really, the main reason I went with this guy was do to his suppposed proficiency with epoxy.

So just tell him mesh tape the corners. Got it.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #45
Autoplay
Tile Setter

If layout was changed/moved.....and staying centered on back wall,and with tiles "flowing" from corner to corner......you would still have small cuts someone,probably on the two side,end/return walls.

The piece of tile on your out floor,that was in question.....what was determined?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase