Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
sherryberryr

New to pre-formed shower tray

Hello all!
I have done many tile jobs (personal use..not professionally), but have never used the pre-formed shower trays. I am considering buying the Kerdi shower tray, but the sizes don't fit my project. The closest I have found is 48 x 72. The length of my shower is going to be just shy of 60". Wouldn't I lose too much of the slope if I cut six inches off of each end of the 72" tray? Trying to get away from creating a mud pan from scratch.

Also...I was looking at some of the waterproofing membrane. Has anyone ever heard of or used this product?...Suprima USA (on Amazon). It looks just like the Kerdi membrane, but cheaper.

Thank you for any helpful advice. I tried searching for this answer, but couldn't find it. I suppose I may just need to call Schluter. Thanks again! Sherry
Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Sherry.

You can cut down the foam trays as you suggest, but I'd recommend you make a mud bed to match your shower footprint and drain location exactly.

I can't find any waterproofing product matching "suprima usa" on Amazon or anywhere else. If you've got a link, just spell it out with and extra space in the www and a moderator will light it up for you.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
greenjp

I'm in the process of using the Wedi system including the preformed tray (see "Another Jeff's shower..." thread). They make a 48x60 center drain pan. I'm using the 48x36, and have trimmed 1" from each of the long sides to make it 48x34 to fit the existing space and drain location.

The entire thing is sloped so there's no concern with affecting that. What you do need to be careful of is that the edge on the trimmed down sides will be lower than the others, which might make it tricky to get the tiles on the adjacent walls to line up. Figure 1/4" per foot. Wedi recommends no more than a 6" trim. As noted I took 1" off two sides so that should only be 1/48".

The Wedi stuff is expensive but I found the installation seemed to provide a good combination of ease of install and fool-proofness. The guy who answers their emails is extremely responsive and helpful too.

jeff
Old 06-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Hi sherry,
I have not heard of suprima but may I suggest usg durock shower system. It's basically just like Kerdi but tends to be less expensive. It's easier to work with and technically more water proof.
You will probably be able to get both Kerdi or usg for less of you go to a real tile store and ask them for contractor's pricing.
Real store meaning not Lowe's, home depot, or floors and decor

I am neither clever or funny
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I think Latticrete can make a custom sized foam shower pan...if you don't want to make one yourself, that may be an option...call them. I seem to remember them saying a max of 2-weeks for delivery. Deck mud is MUCH less expensive.

To use one of the preformed pans, your floor must be essentially perfectly flat and level, or you have to make it that way before you can install the pan. Deck mud doesn't care - you make the surface whatever size and shape and height you need.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
wwhitney

I believe the waterproofing the OP means is Surprima:

http://www.alpinebay.com/products/surprima/

Cheers, Wayne
Old 06-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
MisterJJ

Alpinebay seems pretty sketchy. Don't expect any kind of support. I find it odd that they state that their membrane "retards liquid and vapor". I think you want to do more than "retard" it.

Here's what they look like on Google street view:
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
sherryberryr

Thank you all for your advice! My husband has done the mud pan in the past and we can certainly go that route if need be, but we were definitely looking for something a little easier.

I looked into the Durock and it looks like a good product too. Definitely like that it's a bit cheaper. I actually called Schluter and they stated that I could cut down the 72" pan with no issues, but it just seems like too much of the slope would be cut away. So...whichever product we end up purchasing, it seems as though getting the 48x48 and putting mud in the remaining 8 inches might be the best solution.

One more question for you....If we do a straight mud bed without the tray, will the waterproofing membrane adhere to the mud base as it does to the Kerdi & Durock product?

Thank you again!

Last edited by sherryberryr; 06-23-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Needed to add a question
sherryberryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yes, the Kerdi will adhere to the mudbed just as it will to the walls with thinset.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Cutting or adding to a preformed pan can work fine, it's not a functional problem, it's aesthetics as long as you maintain the same slopes. Most people prefer a level perimeter in the bottom row of tile. The only time the perimeter remains the same is if the pan is square, the drain is centered, and you cut equal amounts off each side. But, at a nominal 1/4" per foot, cutting 6" off would have it about 1/8" lower than the adjacent sides. The slope is that minimum, so unless the pan is square, the longer side would be 1/4"/foot while the shorter one would be steeper than that.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
sherryberryr

Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase