Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #271
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I think that size notch would be about right but make sure you get good coverage without too much coming up into the joints.

If the edges of the tiles at the drain are cut tiles, I would rub them with a rub stone (rub brick). They can be slightly higher than the grate but not by much. I try to get them flush. Main thing is to not get them low.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #272
dorlando

Sounds good. Thanks. When my person made the top mud deck he set the drain flush with a piece of tile, so I guess I need to push the tile sheets all the way down to keep them flush. Doesn't sound like back buttering is needed, right?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #273
Kman

You may be able to use that size trowel, if it offers enough coverage. If the tile are over 1/4" thick, I would probably bump up to a 1/4" square notch trowel. With the trowel being held at a 45-degree angle, you'll probably get close to 3/16" deep ridges, and since they're square and 1/4" wide, you'd get a little better coverage than with a v-notch.

I'd set the tile flush, or maybe just 1/32" above the drain. Definitely not below.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #274
dorlando

They are cut tiles at the drain so I will use the rubbing stone. Is there a preference to leaving a grout joint at the drain or put tile right against drain?
Old 07-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #275
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like leaving a grout joint but no bigger than what I used in the field tiles, maybe slightly smaller.

On floors with small tiles and mosaics, I like to use a block of wood or a piece of marble to slightly press on the tiles. On a bathroom floor, I'll use a 12 x 12 with a handle epoxied on the top. On a shower floor a 5x5 or 6x6 piece of plywood or marble works good since it's not a flat surface. You just want to avoid any high tiles. I've heard of others using a grout float, and that will work too, especially on a shower floor. On a bath floor, I want a bigger surface than a float.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #276
dorlando

OK, I have the floor in and the floor is grouted. I will send some pics later on. I didn't get exactly a full grout joint on the floor, is that going to be an issue with drainage? We tried to wait as long as we felt we could before cleaning but some of the grout still came out of the joints. It isn't deep but just not flush with top of tile.

Last edited by dorlando; 08-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
dorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #277
dorlando

Here is an updated picture. I have a question about applying silicone. I have read tips about using rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner or just soap and water on your finge. Is there one method better than other? Can using glass cleaner ir rubbing alcohol break down the silicone?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #278
CaliGrown

I use a spray bottle with soapy water.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #279
dorlando

Do you spray the bead or just put it on your finger?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #280
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I use Acetone with silicone. Seems to work fine.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #281
CaliGrown

You can spray the bead, just keep in mind whatever the soapy water gets on the silicone won't stick to. So be sure to have your inside corners done without over spraying
Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #282
dorlando

ok, finishing the sealing tonight and will be caulking tomorrow, well with silicone. Has anyone ever used two different colors of silicone in the shower and tips on how to do that? We have a gray floor with gray grout and white walls with white grout. So my wife mentioned using gray silicone where the walls meet the floor and using white for the vertical corners. I will be using Latasil.

First, would this even look nice? Second, if I do it how should I go about it so I don't mix the colors in the floor corner? Would I allow one to dry and then apply the other color or is it best to do it all wet so it dries as one?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #283
rmckee84

Use tape to separate the areas, I would do one then wait until it dried to do the other.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #284
dorlando

So I need to install my curb which I believe is made out of quartz. Is thinset the best material to use and does the color matter? I only have gray, not that I can't get white of course, my curb is a lighter color with darker spots throughout. I read something about the possibility of the thinset color coming through the curb material????

When installing do I treat it like I am installing tile so I would spread thinset across the curb before setting the quartz on it? Since the quartz is heavy do I need to lay the thinset thicker or does that just cause more to gooze out?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #285
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Thinset mortar is what you want to use to set the curb, Dominick. Just treat it as you would any other tile.

If the curb top is a light colored stone, it's safest to use a white thinset mortar, but it may not really matter at all. Can't see your stone from here, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase