Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old Today, 05:23 AM   #31
Jake717

What would you recommend for grout lines for
1. 12x24 wall tile
2. 12x24 floor tile
3. 3x6 subway tile in the kitchen?

My tile guy said something about 1/8 grout line with unsanded grout? I want grout that will last for a very long time so should i try to convince him to use sanded grout or flexcolor cq?

Another question unsanded / sanded grout (Keracolor) with Mapei Grout maximizer vs Flexcolor CQ - Which one would you recommend and why?
Old Today, 08:43 AM   #32
rmckee84

1&2. The rule of thumb is measure about a dozen or so tiles out of different boxes and the smallest grout line you should use would be 3x the difference in size. Example: if there is 1/16" difference in the tile then 3/16" grout line would be safe. With that said, most times I shoot for an 1/8" unless the sizing is off quite a bit.

3. I would do 1/16"-1/8" depending on how well tile is sized.

4. Unsanded can be used in 1/8" or less and I wouldnt use it on floors unless it's completely necessary.

5.Flexcolor. I haven't really seen much of an advantage with using the grout add mix produts
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #33
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

For the 12x24 don't go any smaller than 1/8" and 3/16" would be better if the size of the tile varies. The Flexcolor CQ will be a lower maintenance option long term than Keracolor S with Grout Maximizer because if you need to do any repairs or touch-ups, you can go over it with more Flexcolor CQ. Cement grout you would have to completely remove and replace.

The 3x6 subway tile should be OK with Flexcolor CQ as well, but you can typically use a 1/16" joint for these tiles (although an 1/8" is fine). If the glaze is extremely soft, you may want Keracolor U so it doesn't scratch, only a mockup can tell you which to use. The aggregate in Flexcolor is round so it typically doesn't scratch, but it's still technically a sanded product.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #34
Jake717

I would love to use Flexcolor CQ but I don't think my tile guy ever used so I am not sure he will be willing to go that route.

for the shower wall we are using polished ceramic tile and for the floor a porcelain tile, not polished
Attached Images

Old Today, 11:19 AM   #35
Jake717

My tile guy wanted to use unsanded grout on everything and although I'm no professional I was thinking sanded is better.

What's the real difference between sanded and unsanded besides the smoothness of unsanded.
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #36
Company Representative

Sanded grout doesn't crack in grout joints above 1/8" wide and gives more texture. For the shower floor you would be better off with sanded. For the walls, unsanded would probably be better, the tile in your picture looks like it could scratch pretty easily. Another option for both floors and walls would be Ultracolor Plus FA which still has some sand but it's very fine (FA=Fine Aggregate) and designed to work for both applications. It won't need Grout Maximizer either. If your installer is used to working with Portland Cement grouts (Like Keracolor S and U), the main difference is he'll need to get started on cleaning this one sooner. Have him read through the directions on the bag.

Old Today, 11:36 AM   #37
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

What is your grout joint width?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:34 PM   #38
Jake717

The floor won't be in the shower, it's the bathroom floor.

thinking 1/8" for the grout width.
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #39
Company Representative

As a general rule, floors with foot traffic should be sanded grout. Either Keracolor S or Ultracolor Plus FA or Flexcolor CQ would meet this, Keracolor U would not.

Old Today, 01:51 PM   #40
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Sanded tends to be stronger and less likely to crack or shrink. The typical 'sand' often is harder than the cement that binds it together.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:30 PM   #41
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc

1/8 inch for the 12x24's and stack the 3x6's. You can slightly space the 3x6's but it's more work and the tile guy will probably want to charge more for it.

I wouldn't use sanded or unsanded grout. The high performance cement grout or single component that Dan mentioned are nice grouts. Ultracolor for the 12x24's and Ultracolor FA for the subway. Even though they are fast setting they're still cement grouts and your tile guy should be able to figure them out.

Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase