Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
blue_can

Leaking Glass Block Window

I wonder if anyone one here knows anything about windows and can help figuring this out.

I have four windows made out of glass block and all of them now have started leaking during heavy rain (rare in Socal). We are having heavy rain now and they are leaking so I'm trying to figure out how they should be fixed.

The leaks are occurring in the lower corners at the joint (shows by joint enclosed by the red area) so I'm assuming the frame has failed. I'm not sure how these windows are made - if they are pre-fabbed and the installer simply installs them or if the installer uses a frame and then installs the glass blocks on site.

Any ideas if they are repairable or the windows need replacement?
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's hard for us to say without knowing how they are installed. And even then it will be a tough call.

Is the pic taken from the inside or outside? I assume the inside.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
blue_can

Inside.

Would removing the drywall around the window give further insight.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

If they are PVC will a syringe of PVC glue work?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
blue_can

Unfortunately I'm coming to the conclusion that I will be needing to demo the drywall to see what is going on. I have been gradually replacing the drywall around the windows with decent hardwood casings so this may give an opportunity to fix the leak (assuming it is fixable) and replace the demoed drywall with a casing.

Simply plugging the corner may well fix the leak at that spot but my concern is what could be happening underneath. There could still be an underlying leak seeping into the studs which may not be visible. The crack may just be the exit point to a leak which may well be happening in other spots. I cannot see any obvious issue outside - I will try to get a photo of that also.

I wonder if a thermal imaging camera would help.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Drill a hole and inject foam-inna-(blue)-can then seal the hole ?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
blue_can

In theory possible I guess but not sure how one would determine if the foam got to all of the leaks and plugged them up. Is the foam around the window frame the primary water seal? I thought the foam was simply for insulation. I have never actually installed a window before so not not fully clear on what forms the water seal.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Ravin, before you go removing drywall, check the exterior weep holes. Assuming they work something like conventional non glass block vinyl frame windows and sliding doors, there's some sort of lower channel that directs water to the weeps.

I've seen 'em full of all kinds of yuck, including leaf cutter bee, ummm, pluggage. Usually just airborne crud or bio growth. Little wire or some carefully applied compressed air.

Too dark to take a photo, I'm swiping one from web. Manufactures will all do something a little different, but should be evident when you eyeball yours. I found this Googling "vinyl window weep hole" images. I bet something there will look familiar.
Attached Images

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 01-07-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
blue_can

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. I had no idea these holes even existed. I will check and see what I find.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've seen windows with the weepholes at the top which means the window (or frame) was installed up side down.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
I've seen windows with the weepholes at the top which means the window (or frame) was installed up side down.
Could be designed for anti-gravity environments.

Most likely a case of RC inversion on the part of installer
Old 01-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
blue_can

Okay so I just checked the windows and I cannot see any evidence of the existence of any weep holes anywhere. Here are a couple of photos from the outside. They show the bottom corners but it looks the same all around.

Is it possible the weep holes are at the bottom and have been stuccoed over? Or do manufacturers make windows without weep holes?

Both corners on the outside also weep water when pressed so the joints are definitely a potential cause for the incoming water.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
blue_can

Okay so I did some further digging and think I have a plan to fix this.

I saw that some of the windows still have the original AAMA sticker and so through going to the AAMA website and figuring out how to read the label got the manufacturers series number. Some further reserach shows the manufacturer is Hy-Lite - http://www.hy-lite.com/

Got on the phone and spoke to a very helpful customer service lady who told me it was their product and there were no weep holes. It looks like the seal at the miter joints have failed so the suggested solution was the re-seal all the miter joints and the perimeter with 100% silicone and retest with a hose and if still leaking to call back for further support.

I will do this once the rains have subsided.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #14
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Ravin, how old are the windows? Most that I've looked at closely are plastic welded at corners, it there evidence of that?. Lack of weep holes is a surprise. Their fix is not what I'd call permanent solution, but perhaps adequate.

Having a look at your photos, and assuming there's no warranty concern, I'd be tempted to drill a hole at the bottom corners of that frame right above the step in extrusion where in meets stucco. Don't want to trap the water in there and would want future water to find it's way out and not test the silicone.

Good sleuthing on finding the vendor.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
blue_can

They are about 18 years old (same age as the house). From what I understand they are aluminum frames (series 625/825). Here is a link to the document which shows the install detail. The last page has info on this frame.

http://www.hy-lite.com/hylite/_pdfs/documents/Walls.pdf

Do you know how they join aluminium frames? I suppose they could have welded it. I don't see a weld bead so I don't think that was how they were made.

I agree the silicone does not really sound like a long term solution. I forgot to ask customer service how they are joined at manufacture but it seems like sealing the gap is part of the process.

I asked about the lack of weep holes and she told me they don't do it on this kind of window (picture frame type) and only have them on double hung windows and proceeded to explain the reason but I did not really quite understand it.

Yes I could drill a small hole in the corners in addition to sealing - that's a good idea.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase