Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
jmt5e
Jay

Preventing Dirt Buildup on Unglazed Porcelain (sealed)

Hi everyone,

I managed a tile job for a restaurant reception area floor recently (about 550 sq ft).
We used Daltile Keystone 2x2 black and white hex, 511 Impregnator Sealer prior to grouting, and Charcoal Grey Powergrout, no sealing after.

Restaurant has been open for about a month, the customer is having difficulty keeping the floor clean, despite regular cleaning.

Is there any product or procedure that will mitigate dirt building up on this tile?
Would another coat of 511 Impregnating sealer help to keep dirt from accumulating?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jay, welcome. Keystones from Dal tile have a slight texture to it and will probably have to be scrubbed periodically. I know in restaurants they like to slop a mop on the floors and be done with it and that may work some days. I would take some tile cleaner over there and spray a small area and let it dwell 5-10 minutes and then scrub it well with a scrub brush. Then rinse it well. I bet it'll be cleaner than the rest of the floor.

Sealer has nothing to do with keeping a floor clean.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
smifwal

Are they complaining about the floor or the grout? As davy said about the slop/mop/walk away method the water pools and that residue from the dirty water is why most people need to clean their grout. If you could get the employees to run a towel over it after mopping that would help bunches. As for a scrubber get a scrub brush that you can attach to a pole I use one in my shop. I figure I spend enough time on my knees cleaning floors no reason to also do it at home

Last edited by smifwal; 06-11-2018 at 09:24 PM.
smifwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
jmt5e
Jay

Thanks for the responses!

Is there any kind of floor treatment to mitigate this issue?

The dining room has 18x18s and although I believe they are glazed ceramic, they have a rough texture similar to the Keystone, and the owner said the 18x18s that set under counters for years had a duller finish and picked up dirt quicker than the 18x18s on the dining room floor, which have more of a sheen and stay cleaner (The restaurant was a remodel of an existing one - we did not install this floor, nor could we find any black and white 18x18 comparable to do the reception area with).
That leads us to believe something was done to the existing floor that had this effect.

Also the issue is with the tile, not the grout.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jay,

I think the sealer might be the problem. Unglazed porcelain (unless it is polished) doesn't need sealer and in fact it shouldn't be sealed, as the sealer tends to build up on the surface. Porcelain is waterproof to begin with. A stripper might help.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase