Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
becky129622

Loose Tiles

Hi again, tile disaster/asbestos girl again.

Since the kitchen flooring turned into a nightmare, I have decided to go ahead with carpet for the rest of the house. Not what I wanted to do, but underneath these engineered hardwood planks lie more asbestos filled vinyl tiles and I don't want to risk them being loose and broken when I pull the floor up. That's what happened in the kitchen.

Anyways, my question is this. For some reason, the prior owner ripped out the hallway engineered wood floors and laid down this tile. It's on some kind of underlayment. I am wanting to carpet over the tile, but some of the tiles are loose because you can feel it when you walk on them. The grout is still in good condition. I'm just worried about covering them up with carpet when they are already problematic. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping there is a way to secure them back down?
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When the substrate is inadequate, it's unlikely that you'd be able to get the tile to stay in place no matter what you do short of rebuilding it properly. Sorry, it's probably best to remove them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #3
Obo2

Since you were already getting asbestos abatement done in the kitchen i would probably go ahead and get all of that ripped out. Get everything down to nice clean subfloor and do the flooring you want.

I suppose you could just try and clean up the loose tiles and the floor they attach to and then reset them. I'd think it's likely you would get additional tiles coming loose or the ones you tried to fix coming loose again. You might never really notice a loose tile under carpet or it could get knocked out of place or break and then you might need to pull up the carpet to address it.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
becky129622

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to do the whole house abatement. I would love to, but just can't. Not to mention we just moved here a couple months ago and I don't really have it in me to move back out for a week. I am just going to slap some carpet on it and hope it's fine. That is all money allows for right now.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase