Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
SCOUCER

BTW - I am liking this Schluter All-Set - great/easy for a DIY-er such as myself, to work with.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
rmckee84

I wonder if you got the new formula, the first run didn't have many positive reviews. Most installers I talked to hated it.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #18
SCOUCER

Just being a DIY-er, I don't have a lot of experience with many brands of thinset, so I have little to which to compare the All-Set.

The Schluter All-Set did work well for installing the NuHeat mat, and the Ditra, and we found it easy to mix and use, but then again, I haven't started setting the tiles yet, so that might be another matter entirely.

Do you recall what issues the installers were having with the All-Set? Were they problems related adherence, crumbling thinset, tile failure, etc.?

I'm most worried about long-term performance with this new tiled kitchen floor. I want it to be solid, and last a long time. So any problems along those lines would indeed be a concern.

Fretting.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #19
rmckee84

Most just said it was a pain to work with.
-if you following the directions it takes a long time to mix a batch (18 minutes)
-most had issues with pot life and working consistency. It would fall off the trowel while attemping to do walls
And it felt like it had large aggregate, and wasn't very smooth
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #20
SCOUCER

Thanks, Ryan.

You might be right about us having better luck due to us using a later-date formula of the All-Set.

We didn't have any of those issues you mentioned, however we didn't try setting wall tiles with the All-Set.

I'll hope all will be well, and I will let y'all know if we have troubles setting the floor tiles.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #21
SCOUCER

Boring photos of installed Ditra, but at least it's finally done.

We avoided walking on it for a couple of days, and all seems good.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #22
SCOUCER

GROUT questions:

I'll admit that the tiling is going slowly, but OK otherwise. The tiles are flat-finish (not shiny), 20"x20" porcelain, rectified edges, 5/32" grout lines, set with Schluter All-Set mortar (over Ditra and a Nuheat mat).

We're using the Raimondi clips and wedges, tile levelling system, and it seems to be helping over all. We've not used a levelling system previously.

Sometimes the clips break when we try to tighten them, and sometimes they seem to interfere with achieving the correct grout line width, but only in those tiles set along the edges of our tile bed, where we've stopped tiling for the day. We place clips along those edges so that they will be in place when we resume tiling the next day, and despite great care in placing these clips, we sometimes still have issues. Also, with the few clips/wedges that we've removed the next day, some parts of the plastic breaks off high, and we'll have to remove the remainder later - melt the high points with a heated screwdriver?

The few problems we are having are likely due to our inexperience.

But the system has really helped us DIY-er's with our levelling issues along the way.

My questions are about grout - I'm planning on using Laticrete Permacolor in a shade that blends really well with the tile, into the 5/32" grout lines.

I'm also planning on sealing the grout in approx. 7 days with a super good sealer.

- is Laticrete Permacolor a good way to go? - do they make different types? - any other suggestions or favourites out there?
(I've used epoxy grout before - I would like to try cement-base grout this time)
- any recommendations for a good sealer?
- do I have to prep the tiles for grouting other than vacuuming and cleaning well with water?
(I presume that sealing the tiles themselves first is very unnecessary)
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase