Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #376
lyonkster
Longtime DIYer, Kerdi Newbie

OK, sounds good. I saw a video of a guy spraying the grout release all over the tiles, and didn't like the idea of the stuff working its way into the joints. Foam roller will avoid that, thanks Paul!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #377
lyonkster

I am happy with the grout now. I ended up sanding some areas that were rough (as in wet/dry sandpaper, not adding sand to it ). It sanded surprisingly well, and the results are very good.

Here are some pics with Mrs. Leon's camera, these colors are more true to life:

Name:  P1010977s.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  P1010979s.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  15.0 KB

Then I went ahead and put up the wall bar and shower head, and all the valve trim.

Name:  P1010978s.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  16.0 KB

The glass guy came out and took measurements, so that is going well. Still need to caulk the corners, and to decide on the floor tile grout so I can finish the shower and start using it again .
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #378
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

That's a sweet lookin shower Leon.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #379
BronsonB

Hey Leon - It's looking really good! I like how you ran the tile out past where the door will go. It looks very nice. Is that further out than you originally figured? It turned out looking really good. Congrats!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #380
lyonkster

Thanks Dana and Bronson!

Bronson, if you mean the tile going past the glass, then yes - I am actually going to continue tiling the entire wall - look at my very first post on page 1 (Except that the brown tile is replaced with the white tile).
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #381
BronsonB

Shame on me! I didn't go back and check. I will say that it certainly makes clean up a snap when the wall is tiled!

I tiled the entire back wall of our bath from inside the shower to behind the toilet and the wall on the opposite end. It turned out very nice. We have a window just outside the shower, and to have stopped the tile right there would have meant a very odd profile on the window trim to accommodate both the tile AND the shower door, which comes to 1/2" of the window trim.

So tiling that whole wall just made more sense. I think I've become "A tilin' fool" as friends of Forrest Gump might say ("that boy's a runnin' fool!").

Your work is very professional!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #382
lyonkster

Thanks for the compliments Bronson! I read through your master bath and hallway bath remodels, and it's obvious that you are a perfectionist and do great work! So if you approve of the quality of my work, then I can be proud!

I got a couple of atta-boys from the glass guy too - he was impressed that my tiled walls were plumb and flat. And he seemed extra pleased that my curb top was sloped, into the shower. To me, the important thing is not the atta-boy, but that he picked up on the fact that I am picky, so hopefully they'll send out the A-crew to do the installation. The last thing I want is what seems to be a common experience for me - reach a very specific understanding with the estimator as to the scope and specific steps of the job, only to have the installer come out and do the job his "own" way, telling me "nah, you don't need that".

I just need to find a floor tile grout that I like. It's weird, I am down to Polyblend's Urban Putty or Oyster Gray - they look different on the color pallete and in the plastic samples, but when I try the actual grout, I cannot tell them apart. I guess that means I should close my eyes, pick one, and move on .
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #383
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Yeah, I'm not seeing any issues at all with your wall grout. I think you can officially relax.

I had the same kind of experience with my glass company. He was very pleased that I had gone to the trouble of making the jambs nice and straight. Apparently there are plenty of professional tilers who figure the glass guy will make up the difference. I made sure to go over step by step what would happen if his guys cracked one of my tiles, including no additional charge to have them come back after I replaced the tile. He said his guys had never cracked a fully supported tile on a solid substrate, and I didn't have any issues, thank goodness. It's good to be the Queen of Backbutter.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #384
lyonkster

Hi Wendy, my other perfectionist bird of a feather . I am relaxing about the grout, thank you, and I was very pleased with my discovery that you can sand grout even after a few days. My prior experiences with wet sanding automotive paint jobs made this a breeze in comparison .

I got the same impression from my glass guy, that they often have to cheat to make up for poor tiling even by professionals. So that part is good. But again, he and I went over every single question on my list, from blowing out the holes through tile/kerdi and then injecting silicone prior to plug installation, to how the glass will be placed in the slot on small linoleum pads, to how the gap between glass and wall will be siliconed, to whether they will drill the holes or I will (he said they do it all the time, so they'll do it) - but there is nothing on paper to document any of this. All I have is my CAD drawing of the job, that I sent to them, with their writing on it showing the total cost. I'll have to do what they always hate, which is hang out there while they are doing the work. I'll be sure not to ask too many questions or be a PITA, but you can be sure that if I see plugs going into the walls without kerdi-fix, I'll speak up. They may not like it, but it's my shower after all, so I get to speak, right?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #385
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Leon,

Between drilling the holes in the tiles and squirting in the silicone add- blowing out the dust from drilling.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #386
Ceci

Darn, I forgot that one when they drilled into my shower walls for the fixtures. I knew that one. Arggghhhh.

Ceci
Ceci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #387
tulse

I must confess I'm a bit disappointed. I figured with your personality traits you'd buy the tools, rent a commercial space, and do the glass yourself.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #388
lyonkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Between drilling the holes in the tiles and squirting in the silicone add- blowing out the dust from drilling
Paul, you bet, I mentioned this to the guy - but again, he said "sure", but nothing is on paper. So of course I'll have my portable air compressor up there when they show up - hopefully they won't say "wasdis for??" I blew out the holes prior to installing the plugs for the wall bar, and I swear that more chips and junk came flying out than I actually drilled - so blowing out the holes is definitely important. I learned my lesson when some years ago I drilled holes in the concrete foundation for epoxy-injected holddown rods. The deputy inspector came out and asked me if I blew out the holes and used the brush to clean the holes, and I proudly responded that I did. He then pulled out a 16" long 1/4" diameter tube with a threaded adapter for an air nozzle, and asked me to try using that and blow out the holes again. A ton of concrete dust came out, showing me that I was only blowing out the stuff near the top of the hole, not the lower section. He told me that this happens all the time, and left me the tube as a souvenir. So I used it on the tile holes, which worked very well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I must confess I'm a bit disappointed. I figured with your personality traits you'd buy the tools, rent a commercial space, and do the glass yourself
Sam, yeah, I know, I did consider it though. I did my own glass install in another bathroom a few years ago, going through Wilson Glass - so I got all the CRL hardware through them, and picked up the glass at a local glass shop. That worked well, especially considering that the shower's wall on which the door was hinged was out of plumb by 1" top to bottom, that required some ingenuity. But for this shower, with the corner joint added to the mix, I decided to let the pros handle it. I think for this project I will have only two things subbed out - the shower glass and the floating vanity. Maybe I'll have someone make the countertop, haven't thought that far ahead yet.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #389
lyonkster

I don't want to hijack Ceci' s thread, but I have a similar question about caulking of fixtures. Look at my post #377 with the photo of the valve trim, wall bar, and hand held shower outlet. Do I need to caulk them where they meet the tile?

I sealed all penetrations through Kerdi (valve box, pipe nipple, screw holes)with Kerdi-Fix. I also filled the gaps between the penetrations and tile with 100% silicone. (I can upload pics later, they are at home). The valve trim plate has a built in flexible seal behind it to seal against the tile.

So I am confident that the waterproofing beneath the cosmetic trim pieces is adequate. But is there any benefit to caulking the tile/fixture interface as well?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #390
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

I did it as a second line of defense against steam. If you have a regular shower I don't see any need. Unless you think it's pretty.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase