Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Arra2

Information request

I'm new to this forum. I signed up hoping to get some good advice from those who have been in the tiling business for some time.

My wife and I just finished building our new house, we move in this weekend. yeah finally!

I along with my wife have always liked to look of ceramic tile so we installed it in our new house. (bathrooms, shower, foyer, fireplace and laundry room). I installed all the tile myself and I must say I really enjoyed working with tile.. I enjoy tile work so much that I'm toying with possibly doing tile work on the side for extra income and more experience. members in the family have asked me to do their tile work in their homes.

My father works for a builder as a project manager and he said that my tile work was really good for my first time.

I have read countless books on tiling. I have read procedures on tiling new homes, old homes that will require taking out obsticles before tiling.

I read articles on the internet about certified Tile Installers. is there classes to become certified? Can you gain the necessary experience by work alone? I thought I would play with Tile to see where it takes me. My current profession in the Information Technology side does not do it for me. I work with geeks all day that want to talk about their games, computers, etc. I'm bored. The money is good but if i do something that I really enjoy it could lead to bigger and better things.

Any information on the routes to take to the tiling profession would be appreciated.
Arra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Mike2

Good morning Arra and welcome. Glad you could join us.

I am going to move your question over to our Professional's hangout. Meet, talk to the pros about your career aspirations, I'm sure you will receive some valuable information and advice.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Arra.

If that's your name, great, but if it's not, please give us a first name.

You will find other recent posts here concerning breaking into the tile business. One of the things that seems to repeat is that there is no substitute for the type of experience you gain by working for a pro for a while. The School of Hard Knocks has its benefits, but it's much better to abvoid it if you can.

Find someone to work for on the side as a helper. Make sure you find someone who knows what he's (she's) doing.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with John, find a good tile setter you can help on the weekends or in your spare time.

There will be times when your knees and back will be hurting and you'll wish you could go sit at a desk, geeks and all.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Dog paws
Tileman

Arra
I'm going to be on the south side of Lex. 4/15/04 grouting appx. 350 s/f. I'm going to be using Mapei's Ultracolor. It is a hydraulic grout that cures to exact color, is efflorescence free and 75% more stain resistant than regular grout.
If you want, you could stop by for a chat and maybe pick up some tips.
Shoot me an email if your interested.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Careful, Arra sounds like an invitation to a work party!

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
and that would be precisely the type of free exposure to the tricks of the trade that would make the trip worthwhile. Notice Michael isn't even charging for this educational opportunity.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #8
stullis
Flooring Installer

He's jumping in his DeLorean and going back in time too!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:33 AM   #9
muley

Just jump in. I assure you that nothing gets you installing correctly then eating a few jobs. The fact that your even visiting this website gives you an instant advatage. As a GC remodeler I will let you in on a little secret. All building applications come down to common sense, and a desire to do the job correctly. It really is that simple. As you get deeper into the trades speed and profit margins will become your goal. For now just study, use common sense, and do it right.
muley is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase