Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #586
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Lately we have been using a lot of basic plain ol' Bostik cement grout. The you can mix it with water, admixture, or epoxy we don't care kind of grout. It's just simple.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 AM   #587
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I have a dozen or so showers with CQ. No problems at all.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #588
Steve Taylor
Technical Rep

From a manufacturer's point of view, the premixed category is growing rapidly. We hear of relatively few complaints and in most cases, we help the installer with their installation procedure and it solves the problem. When the product was developed, we simulated exposure to water in shower conditions in the lab that would equal 5+ years. There may still be room for improvement, but in most cases, the benefits of the new grouts is worth the changes in installation procedures.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #589
rmckee84

Steve, I believe you when you say you hear few complaints but I will say that the reason is because after 2 years you won't get a call from most installers. Instead most will bite the bullet, fix the issue with a different product, and move on. I compare it to an installer that does sub-par work and uses the line "I've never had a call back". He couldn't do it right the first time, so the customer doesn't call him back to do it again.

I feel there is a disconnect between installers and many parts of the industry. There's a growing reputation with fusion grout and it's not a good one. I know that installer error can attribute to failure, but between the 3 facebook groups I frequent for installers there is at least 2 posts a week involving fusion failing in wet areas. Overall that may be a small percentage , but I feel it's too many.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #590
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

How many people get a bad meal at a restaurant, don't complain but just never go back?
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #591
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

I keep hearing about issues with Fusion but I've been using it for 2-3 years now and it's worked great. I had a project where I thought it was the problem but it turned out to be the homeowners maintenance program. But, as a precaution to what I've been hearing I've scaled back and am only using it on certain low risk applications for the time being.

Because of this I recently grouted a shower with epoxy and had forgot what a pain in the rear that was.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #592
koihito
No one of consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
We hear of relatively few complaints and in most cases, we help the installer with their installation procedure and it solves the problem.
Steve,
I'm not trying to bash CBP. I still use a lot of Redgard, Prolite, Versabond and on occasion I use Prism. I'm going to be giving Speedslope and Redgard Speed Coat a trial run next week. But lets be frank, a quick look at the poll I started on Tile Geeks and the assertion that there are few complaints seems hard to believe. I have heard many times that CBP stands behind their products but a box of prism or tub of CEG does nothing for the hundreds in labor I lose for each shower that I've had to re-grout.

I don't dislike you or CBP; I have a good working relationship with my local rep. Yet the reality is CBP is, like 99% of corporations, motivated by profit and does not care one hoot about me or my customers beyond that. I forget who wrote it, but someone recently posted that warrantees have more loop holes than a tall pair of boots.

If someone can come and show me what I'm doing wrong I will gladly change what I'm doing and say so. Until that time I will continue to actively dissuade anyone from using Fusion

No one of consequence...

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #593
rmckee84

Just saw another Fusion Failure...it's not installer error, it's a product issue. This is his 3rd one in 6 months, thank God I never decided to use it. This is another one that CBP won't hear about since he was given the runaround the first time he brought it to their attention. So, like I said before I think it's time for CBP to address the issue, before they lose more installers because of a failing product they won't admit to.

Last edited by rmckee84; 03-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #594
tileguy80

I have had to regrout my shower floor twice now with fusion. I belive it has to do with the fatty acids in soap breaking down the grout. I also had a customer where the grout literally melted out where the bar soap was stored. Its not a curing thing like they will tell you. Both showers were not used for about a month after grouting. Flexcolor cq seems to do alot better in showers than fusion does
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #595
rmckee84

Very possible that its the soap, I do know of one instance where it turned to mush outside of tub/shower where you stand to dry off...
Old 03-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #596
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Now this is truly odd. I have been using Fusion and Flexcolor since they hit the market and never had a failure.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #597
rmckee84

I haven't heard of any flexcolor failures in showers, the ones I installed using it are going strong. The fusion failures are popping up like crazy...
Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #598
eurob
tile and stone installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Because of this I recently grouted a shower with epoxy and had forgot what a pain in the rear that was.

Were doing the epoxy in a shower&steamer and while talking to another installer , we concluded that , for epoxy, the cons are for installers and the pros are for customers

Knowledge -- something you cannot undo once you learn about it --
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #599
Canvasback Construction

This thread is making me nervous...I've done 6 shower floors with Fusion in the past 2 years. No complaints yet but this makes me wonder if there's something coming down the road. I think for safety's sake I'll be switching to Flexcolor for showers from here on out. I really prefer Fusion to Flexcolor overall, it cleans up easier for me and I like not dealing with the grains of sand that Flexcolor seems to leave, plus in my area Fusion is available in a much wider range of colors. Not worth taking chances to me though, I hate regrouting!
Old 06-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #600
roboreloaded

Fusion Pro breaking down in shower floor installation.

I read this thread last year to learn if Fusion Pro was a good product and it looked like a solid choice so I chose to install it in my master bath back in Nov. 2016. (used the durock shower system btw) I recently noticed the grout lines in the floor were missing small chunks, mostly near the door in the shower (feet probably knocked it loose). Scraping with a fingernail will pull the material out as a powder. A stiff bristle grout brush will quickly scrape it out. This was installed per Custom Building Product instructions (completely wrung out sponge and finishing with a microfiber towel) and left to cure for 7 days before using the shower. I currently have an email into the manufacturer but I'm pretty sure I'll either have to scrape it all out and re-grout or try to scrape out a little and top it off. Any suggestions on a reliable single component grout to use in the shower? Or should I try again? (will CBP send me new product?)
Just thought I'd share with the forum
Daniel
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase