Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
lhgreenacres

New Floor Just Installed-Looks terrible Please help!!!

My new beautiful polished marble hexagon floor looks horrible after the tile contractor put in the grout. I found out yesterday that he used sanded grout. The floor is incredibly dull and has no shine or luster. The tile man is insisting it is fine and that it looks great. It has a lot of sections that look like haze as well but it is hard to tell if it is haze or the tile is just dull. I talked to the grout manufacturer today and they said that there is a product called Aqua Mix with a two step process involving cleaning and then a reviving solution to be used with a floor sander. I really don't know what is the next step. I am also going to have a tile technician come and give his opinion on what can be done with the floor. I am so disappointed as it looks so beautiful before it was grouting. The tile man is trying to make me feel that I am crazy. Please help with any thoughts or suggestions.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

Don't panic, so far from what you have described it can be fixed. Usually if the tile is really soft you will see scratches from sanded grout, not a consistent dull appearance. If it is just grout haze that can be removed, but make sure whatever is used is safe for marble. If the tile has been dulled marble can easily be polished back up, that is one of the nice things about natural stone tile.

Give the original installer a chance to fix it, but make sure it is to your liking. If he is not able or willing then seek other help.

Also realize that tile can look very different when grouted, especially natural stone. Just applying a sealer sometimes can change the look of the tile. Some people don't realize this when they see how the tile looks in the store just sitting on the shelf, they assume it will look exactly the same once installed, not the case.

Not familiar with the Aqua Mix product.
St. Louis, MO

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
......... to be used with a floor sander.
I'd view anything like this as a last last last resort. Really investigate your options well before you try any sort of mechanical sanding/polishing/etc. I agree with Gregg, and it sounds like this won't be needed, but if it is...have a restoration pro do it.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
lhgreenacres

I am not having bad dreams about tile-Please help!!

So last week I researched and researched and thought that it was grout haze that was causing my one week old newly installed one inch hexagon Crema Marfil floor to look horrible. I have now cleaned the floor with a grout haze remover and it does not appear to have grout haze. It is supposed to be polished but there are so much imperfections in the stone now that it is clean that I am wondering if that is what is causing the floor to look horrible. I am worried that it is the quality of the stone and that there is nothing that can be done. Would professional polished remove the imperfections? This was expensive tile that was bought from a high end tile store. I "assumed" that it was good quality". Do you think that the store has any responsibility for the quality of the tile. The tile contractor says that he will not do anything else to the floor and he thinks it looks beautiful. Everyone that came over this weekend said that floor looked hazy, not shiny and like it was an old floor. While I love a vintage look this is not want I wanted, I spent a lot of money and I am not sure what to do and if anyone but myself for choosing the tile is responsible. I feel that the only choice is to take it out and start over. Please help any suggestions greatly appreciated. I need to have good dreams again.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Lisa,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us how this floor was installed? Over a wood framed subfloor or over concrete slab? What are the layers under the tile?

Crema Marfil is often called "Crema Landfill", due to the low quality inherent to the stone. Its known to be very soft, veiny, fragile and hard to work with. Its soft nature lends it to being scratched and etched very easily. If your highly polished CM was installed flawlessly, it normally loses that shine in a few months, looking dull and honed in short order. Aside from an area rug, there isn't much that can be done to prevent that from happening to such a soft stone.

Should the tile store have warned you? That's a debate for philosphers and lawyers.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
lhgreenacres

Thank you for a quick response. It was laid on concrete floor with an added layer and thinset. He also used a sanded grout which I originally thought was the problem. The floor did look beautiful when it was laid before it was grouted. The funny thing is that I did not really want this tile to begin with and had picked up a regular ceramic hexagon but everyone at the store convinced me of how much more beautiful the marble was going to look. Do you think it is worth having the tile representative come look at the floor?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Depends, are they on commission?

What size grout joints do you have?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
lhgreenacres

The grout joints are about 1/8 inch maybe a little less.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Lisa.

Looks like this is a repeat of a thread you started a few days back. I've combined them and moved you to the forum where more of our stoners lurk.

Please keep all the project questions on this thread so folks can see what's been previously asked and answered.

My first suggestion would be that you post a really good photo or two of what you're working with to see if our people can recognize the problem, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
lhgreenacres

Thank you for moving it to where more people can help. I will try to take a picture but the problem is that you have to see it in the right light and that is hard to get in a picture. Thanks again. I was able to take some pictures but it keeps saying there is an error and I can not upload the pictures.

Last edited by lhgreenacres; 05-30-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: wanted to add picture
lhgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase