Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 12-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
edbianc

Silicone stain on granite

About 10 years ago we had granite counter tops and 4" high granite back splash installed in our home. I decided to remove the granite back splash and will be installing a full length back splash of a mosaic. My problem is when the granite back splash was removed a stain line exists where the sealant used in the joint between the back splash and the counter top. Photos attached.
I have tried poultices of baking soda and acetone, baking soda and dish washing soap, and rubbing alcohol. Nothing seems to lessen this stain. Can anyone offer a solution? Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Ed, Welcome aboard.

Are you sure all the silicone has been removed? You can't get at the stain otherwise.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
edbianc

Hi John, thanks for responding. I believe I have gotten all the silicon off that will come off with a straight razor and a scraper. (Is there something else I should try?) It does not feel like there is any silicon left nor can I see any residue.
I just put on a poultice of flour and hydrogen peroxide (30%) and will leave it on overnight to see if that will do anything.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
edbianc

Well the peroxide mix did not seem to do anything to my stain. Does anyone have a suggestion?
I will reapply this mix again in the hope that multiple applications might help.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
wwhitney

There are products marketed as "silicone remover" that would, I presume, chemically attack the silicone. Not having any experience with them, I would say there may be a risk that the silicone remover itself might leave a stain, or possibly be absorbed by the granite and interfere with future use of silicone or other caulk. You could test one of them in a small area, maybe taping off behind the silicone stain where you will be caulking in the future at the tile/counter top interface.

Or perhaps you could find a local granite fabricator that has some experience with this issue and would know how to handle it?

Cheers, Wayne
Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The only product that comes to mind is Dicone9 from a company called Prosoco. But I've not dealt with a sub-surface stain in granite like that. I'd call their customer service. (800) 255-4255

Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
edbianc

I have heard of Divine, but it is very expensive (like $100 gal) and I don't know anyone who has used it. However I will call them to set what they say.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
lati_cz
michal

can't you add layer of drywall?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

If it won’t come off might consider some kind of enhancer to make the balance of the granite match the silicone appearance.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
edbianc

- lati_cz, The original granite back splash was 1.25" thick, so adding drywall would require expanding the wall at least 1.5", which is a lot. But it was a good out of the box suggestion!

-Topspin, I had thought about this solution also and may be the solution of last resort. What kind of "enhancer" would one use to mute the existing stripe effect?
Old 12-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
wwhitney

Another option would be to use a cove base tile, instead of padding out the whole wall.

A google or amazon search for "silicone remover" comes up with a number of products besides the Dicone9. I have no idea if they work.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
edbianc

I am getting a free sample of Dicone NC9 to try but it will have to wait until after the holidays.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

Is it coming from Prosoco or a local dealer?

Always remember the golden rule when it comes to restoration stuff. TEST in a hidden or inconspicuous spot before committing to the whole thing.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
edbianc

I had the local Sherwin Williams store order it from Prosoco, since they carry their products.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg

Cool. Prosoco is one of those companies that I really like because they make really good products. Glad SW is getting you a sample.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase