Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
cx
Da Home Builder

On an engineered wood joist, Chuck, the plywood or OSB is primarily acting as a spacer to hold the two cords apart, not to provide any substantial strength at all. I know the plywood makes things feel a lot better, but you're not decreasing deflection of the joist anywhere close to what you'd get with an equivalent thickness of a single piece of lumber.

Maybe we should take this over to the Hangout and get some of our resident engineers to weigh in.

[Edit]

Missed your last post there, Chuck. When we sandwich plywood or OSB between nominal 2x members in making headers, it's also primarily acting as a spacer to provide the extra thickness to make it the same width as the 2x4 framing members.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Honeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I don't favor just pretending it's too little to cause a problem
I hope it didn't seem like I was advocating doing nothing, I certainly didn't intend to convey that if I did. I was the one that first mentioned my concern about it as the larger issue IMO.

Whien I say the uplift movement is tiny (measured in hundreths by my geometry) that certainly doesn't mean I'd ignore it, I see it as the main pitfall of this situation as it stands and I'd want to address it,

edit add Using the logic of the famous subflloor plywood article, I'd also make sure no joints lay over those areas as much as possible and offset my second layer if necessay as detaied in that proper install article, not that I'd imagine you'd have seams when redoing such a small area. (also make sure both plys are oriented with the long axis across the joists) as if there is anywhere people want to turn the board it's in a small narrow bathroom for convenience of fit. Make sure you do it the right way. Read that article if any questions? Link anyone?

Last edited by Honeydo; 03-05-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Honeydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
cx
Da Home Builder

I think we are in agreement, Ed.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #19
pghsebring

So this is where i'm at:

Name:  DSC_4433a.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  35.9 KB

I nailed the crap out of these with a framing nailer, 3 every foot, those overhanging joist ends, etc. I'll sand any high spot next. Then comes the 3/4 ply, 1/2 ply, 1/4 hardi. The toilet will be on the left, the sink on the right. This has to be strong enough, right?

Last edited by jgleason; 03-08-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: pic too large for forum. please use the attach option (paperclip)
pghsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
cx
Da Home Builder

Maybe I'm missing something here, Stuart, but if those whiter pieces are what you've added, I'm thinking you haven't made much of a change at all. But the photo does make it appear that you didn't have nearly the problem we were all arguing about to begin with.

Perhaps someone else will see it differently.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
pghsebring

Well, i didn't think i had a big problem to start with - i just wanted to make sure my 18x18 stone wouldn't crack. That said, i'm more pleased by the fact that no problems are being pointed out. Looks like a couple layers of ply and then hardi and i'll be fine...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Personally, i'd proceed as you describe with not a worry in the world. Remember, this is what, a 3' wide "room"... carry on.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase