Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
pokskid

sister joists?

I have a question regarding sistering joists. I am planning to install porcelin tile in my master bath, which sits above our dining room. Using the deflector the floor barely meets the minimuns. 11' span 16" OC joists are in good shape 3/4" ply. Being my fathers son I want to make sure that the floor will not fail. So I decided to tear out the ceiling in the dining room and either sister the joist or add new ones 8" OC. Which do you recommend.

Darren
pokskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
GabeS

Barely meeting the minimum is still meeting it right. Why go through all that craziness?

Not sure which method carries a higher yield, but they are both effective. Gluing and scewing a 2x4 to the bottom of the joists will double the strength also.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
pokskid

Yeah I know it is a little crazy. I was planning on doing some work in the dining room anyways(new lighting). So this will just move that project up a little bit. I know my wife will appreciate that since she wanted that done first. So I will kill two birds with one stone here.

Thanks for the assistance,
Darren
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
GabeS

I played around with the numbers in deflecto and it seemed like doubling the joists had a stronger effect than decreasing the spacing between them. You could try for yourself in deflecto. It wouldn't let me type in less than 10" on center for spacing. For thickness, just put three inches (because that's what it will be if you double).
Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
pokskid

I think I will go ahead and sister them. I can't think of a better way to spend my Sat. now that our weather up here in MN has finally taken a turn for the better.

Have a great weekend,
Darren

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase