Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
NobleSeal TS on Tile-Redi Pan?

I am getting ready to install a barrier-free Tile-Redi pan in a bathroom we are remodeling. The floor adjacent to the pan will have a Durock substrate screwed and thin-setted to 1-1/4 inches of plywood. I plan to use a 12 x 24 porcelain tile on both the adjacent floor and the Tile-Redi pan itself. I will lay out the tile so there is a joint at the junction between the pan and the adjacent floor. I also plan to use a high quality flexible caulk/sealant in place of grout in the tile joint at the pan-to-floor junction, since I believe the industry standards require caulk instead of grout at joints where there is a change of substrate. And I want that joint to be waterproof and crack-proof.

My current thinking is to use the NobleSeal TS on the adjacent floor and overlap it onto the Tile-Redi pan, which I am hoping will make both the entire bathroom floor and the joint waterproof, and the joint less likely to crack. One concern, however, is what type of adhesive would be effective to adhere the NobleSeal TS membrane to the polyurethane-based Tile-Redi pan. Should I use the NobleSealant 150, or the NobleBond EXT? Will either or both of these glue the membrane securely to the Tile-Redi pan? And should I rough up the surface of the pan to get better adhesion?

Another question is what type/brand caulk should I use at the tile joint between the pan and the floor.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. I know - I should not have chosen the Tile-Redi pan for this application; should have had one of you expert tile guys install a mortar bed pan. But I have about $800 sunk into the Tile-Redi pan, so I want to try to make it work.
clarksvilleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Member of Million SF Club!!
Call Noble and Tile Redi.

I believe Tile Redi wants epoxy thinset on the pan since it is fiberglass.

I would overlap the pan with Noble TS about 2-4 inches depending on how large the pan is. Adhere the Nobleseal to pan with Noblebond 150 with full coverage. Once dry you can apply epoxy thinset over top the pan and Nobleseal.

Use a 100% silicone caulk
K_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase