Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Julie_M

Is SenGuard Worth the Price?

I just purchased 60 sq. ft. of 12x12 granite tile for a kitchen countertop. The tile is labeled Golden Juperana. Photo attached.

In trying to find the best sealer that will last the longest and provide the best protection, it seems SenGuard comes out on top. Professionally applied, it has a 15 year warranty. Nothing I've seen comes close. That says a lot about quality But the cost is about $150/qt.

I don't mind the cost if the product is really that good. I'm okay paying more if it means less maintenance and better protection and peace of mind. Most products I've seen suggest reapplication from every few years to as often as every six months. SenGuard seems to be a one and done type product.

I've only seen two reviews but they were on the site that sells SenGuard. Has anyone here used SenGuard and if so, what is your opinion of the product?

FWIW, our kitchen countertop gets a lot of use. It's ground zero for activity in our home. So whatever sealant I use, I want it to be able to handle the use (and abuse!)

Thanks,
Julie
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 05-21-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Increase font to readable size
Julie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Never heard of it myself,but since you will have to clean and mainatain the stone to a certain degree anyway i wouldn't be put off with a $40.00 a quart sealer and reapplying in five years or so with a granite cleaner and resealer used in everyday maintenace a sealer can last indefinitely.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Julie, Welcome!

Does Senguard need to be applied by a licensed Dry Treat applicator to receive your 15 year warranty?

Surface Treatment Technologies (STT) offers a Lifetime Stain Protection Kit that needs to be professionally applied. Otherwise they do have other products available that will give outstanding Stain Protection.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Julie_M

Well, the tile is installed and grouted. I'm waiting for the grout to cure and then I'll apply the SenGuard. Yes, I went ahead and bought it.

It comes with a lambswool applicator, a terry cloth towel, gloves, an instruction book, a 12 oz bottle of SenGuard (good for 50-150 sq. ft.) and a DVD (Spanish and English).

You have to first clean the granite with lacquer thinner. When you apply the product you have to use a respirator and gloves and make sure the area is well ventilated. You apply the product with the lambswool, wait for it to dry, reapply and immediately wipe it up with paper towels then polish it with the terrycloth towel. You then wait 4-6 hours for it to cure, keeling the area well ventilated.

The grout should be cured by Tuesday. I'll apply the SenGuard then. I'll let you know how it turns out.

And yes, the product has to be professionally applied to get the 15 year warranty. Google "senguard cosentino" to see the warranty. It appears there's a granite product sold which is already treated. It's called "Sensa".
Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Julie

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to hearing back from you.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
kevin13

Julie - how did the Senguard turn out? I'm looking at purchasing as well for my granite and was curious on your review of it so far.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com