Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Mike Fresh
Slave to Remodeling

Need Help Waterproofing my Shower Seat to Cast Iron Shower Pan

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some pointers on finishing a shower seat I built next to my cast iron shower pan receptor. My project seems rather unorthodox after looking for similar installations on johnbridges.com. Let me know if waterproofing this project is possible! Pictures below...

My current plan is to...

1. Waterproof the shower seat and shower seat mini-wall with PVC membrane. The membrane will lap up adjacent walls 6" and will be installed in one continuous sheet. I will use dam corners and PVC solvent to weld one piece to another as necessary.

2. Install Hardibacker over studs and PVC membrane. Fill joints with mortar and embed 2" glass fiber seam tape.

3. Apply 4 coats of RedGuard.

4. Install Granite shower seat on top of Hardiboard.

5. Install tile.

So my questions are:

Should I even install PVC membrane on the seat and mini-wall before installing Hardiboard?

How should I attach the PVC membrane to the plywood seat and mini-wall? Some type of adhesive?

Do I even need the PVC membrane if I'm using Hardiboard with RedGuard? I don't think there's anyway to avoid putting holes in the PVC membrane if I'm screwing down the Hardiboard.

How would YOU waterproof this seat and shower? Thanks in advance for your time and input...

Mike in Florida

Name:  ss1.JPG
Views: 1358
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  ss2.JPG
Views: 1235
Size:  29.5 KB
Mike Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Skip the PVC liner over the bench. You are right about the screw holes for the backer making it pointless. CBU and a surface applied membrane like Redgard will work nicely.

If I were doing it myself for a client, I would use Wediboard. Kerdi would also work well.

I wouldn't use pressure treated lumber in your framing either
HeenanGC.com

Last edited by Deckert; 04-13-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Mike Fresh
Slave to Remodeling

OK, I'll skip the PVC liner.

How do I finish the cbu at corner edge of the seat where the two pieces of cbu meet each other? Do I still use seam tape and mortar there? Should the horizontal seat piece overlap the vertical mini-wall piece, or viseversa?

Also, should I redo the pressure treated lumber on the mini-wall that supports the seat? It's been dried for at least two months.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Rob Z

Hi Mike,

If you are already on the road to using RedGard, then I would do the entire thing in RG rather than trying mix sheet goods such as Noble or Kerdi and RG.

I would float the shower seat with deck mud so that it is pitched in towards the shower. Even if you've never worked with mud before, that is a small area to do and it will be a good starter project for you to try.

I would probably not replace the PT if it has been in place for that much time and seems to be dry. Of course, the safe thing to do is to check it with a moisture meter, but unless you're a woodworker, you likely don't have one of those laying around.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Brian@BC contracting

Good advise Rob. Also,a moisture meter? cost of this?
Love your avitor...always thought it was a machine gun

Bench...That is right below your mixing valve,correct?. Will this be a steam room by chance? Ur at framing stage,its not too late!!
Brian@BC contracting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Rob Z

Brian, glad you like the avatar, Kurt KG Toolguy found that for me because I am the Sawzall Surgeon.

Moisture meters cost ~$100 to the high hundreds. I don't have one, I borrow one from a friend when I need to check MC for hardwood floors. For framing lumber I just risk it and take an educated guess based on how the lumber seems to be.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Brian@BC contracting

Cool Rob! Looks like my chrome plated 75th anniversary sawzall i cant seem to kill.

Mike,i wasnt paying attention that the mixer/head was above your bench...I did after all ride the short bus...really!!
Are you installing that there in leiu of putting in a rain head in the ceiling as to sit and have the water fall on your head...if so,not a bad ideeee-ur!

Like rob said,create a good pitch from the back to channel that liquid refweshment towards that drain.Dont want to piss off the cleaning lady now!

brian
Brian@BC contracting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Hi Mike,

After you get the area all RedGarded up make sure you have a slight pitch to your granite seat
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Mike Fresh
Slave to Remodeling

Thanks for the replies everyone...

So I just put concrete board on the wood and apply the RedGard? That's all? I thought there would be more to it

How do I finish the CBU corner edge where the seat piece and mini-wall piece meet? Do I use the seam tape and mortar, just like an inside corner?

Rob Z- The bench is already sloped 1/4" per foot. And thank for the moisture meter tip. I'll ask some friends in the trade...

Brian@BC- I wish it was a steam room. It does have two shower heads though! I'd like to have a shower directly on the bench but I figured the less water on the bench the better. You can see I mounted the shower head in a soffitt box above the bench...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase